Benefits and Premium Amounts – Disability Insurance Elective Coverage
For Small Business Owners, Self-Employed and Independent Contractors
DI provides up to 39 weeks of benefits to eligible DIEC participants due to injury, pregnancy, or illness (whether or not it is work related). However, if your illness or injury is work related and you are covered by workers’ compensation insurance, your workers’ compensation benefits will be used before your DI and PFL benefits.
PFL provides up to 8 weeks of benefits in a 12-month period to:
- Care for a seriously ill child, parent, parent-in-law, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or registered domestic partner.
- Bond with a new child entering the family through birth, adoption, or foster care placement.
- Participate in a qualifying event because of an eligible family member’s (spouse, registered domestic partner, parent, or child) military deployment to a foreign country.
The weekly benefit amounts are the same for DI and PFL claims. For calendar year 2021, the DIEC minimum weekly benefit amount is $50 and the maximum weekly benefit amount is $1,357.
To view the range of weekly benefit amounts, review Disability Insurance (DI) and Paid Family Leave (PFL) Weekly Benefit Amounts in Dollar Increments (DE 2589) (PDF).
If you think you are eligible and want to participate in DIEC, learn How to Apply.
For calendar year 2021, DIEC premiums are based on the net profit you reported on your 2019 IRS Form 1040, Schedule SE, or Schedule C. Each quarter, 25 percent of this amount is reported as wage credits.
The DIEC premium rate for 2021 is 6.84 percent of the first $128,298 of your net income. The premium includes contributions for DI and PFL benefits.
Premiums by Net Profit
If the net profit shown on your 2019 IRS Form 1040, Schedule SE, line 3 or Schedule C, line 31 is:
- $4,600 or less, you will pay an annual premium of $314.64 during 2021. Your premium will be paid in four equal quarterly installments.
- $4,601 to $128,298, multiply your net profit by 6.84 percent to determine your 2021 annual premium. Your premium will be paid in four equal quarterly installments.
- $128,299 to $513,191, your annual premium for 2021 will be $8,775.58. Because premiums are based on the first $128,299 of reported net profits, your quarterly installments may be higher at the beginning of the year than at the end of the year.
- $513,192 or more, your entire 2021 premium of $8,775.58 will be due at the end of the first quarter and becomes late after April 30, 2021.
For more information, review Disability Insurance Elective Coverage Rate Notice and Instructions for Computing Annual Premiums (DE 3dii) (PDF).
Contact DIEC Unit
To speak with a representative, call:
- DIEC Unit at 1-916-654-6288.
- EDD Taxpayer Assistance Center at 1-888-745-3886.
- TTY users dial the California Relay Service at 711.
Representatives are available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Offices are closed weekends and holidays.
Send mail to:
Employment Development Department
DIEC Unit, MIC 5
PO Box 826880
Sacramento, CA 94280-0001
For questions about filing a DI or PFL claim, contact State Disability Insurance by telephone, in person, or mail.
Last Revised: 2/09/2021