Paid Family Leave for Adoptive or Foster Parents
If you’re a new parent to a child through foster care or adoption, start here to learn about Paid Family Leave (PFL).
To be eligible for PFL benefit payments, you must have:
- Welcomed a new child into the family in the past 12 months either through adoption or foster care placement.
- Paid into State Disability Insurance (noted as "CASDI" on most paystubs) in the past 5 to 18 months.
- Not taken the maximum eight weeks of PFL in the past 12 months.
Visit Eligibility Requirements to learn more about qualifying for PFL.
Citizenship and immigration status do not affect eligibility.
San Francisco workers: Your employer may have to provide supplemental compensation to you if you’re receiving PFL bonding benefit payments. For more information, review the Paid Parental Leave Ordinance.
Apply for PFL
If you think you’re eligible for PFL, file a claim.
Manage Your Claim
If you already filed a PFL claim, learn how to manage it.
- Stop or Continue Benefits
- Report Wages
- SDI Self-Service Options
- Automated Phone Information System
- Online Tutorials