Self-Employed - Benefit Amounts
Individuals who are covered by the Disability Insurance Elective Coverage (DIEC) program may be eligible for the following Disability Insurance (DI) and Paid Family Leave (PFL) benefits.
- Protection against loss of income due to injury, pregnancy, or illness (whether or not it is work-related). However, if your illness or injury is work related and you are covered by workers’ compensation insurance, your workers’ compensation benefits will supersede your DI and PFL benefits.
- Up to 39 weeks of benefits for your own disability.
- Automatic coverage in PFL, which provides up to 8 weeks of benefits in a 12-month period to care for a seriously ill child, parent, parent-in-law, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or registered domestic partner, or to bond with a new child (either by birth, adoption, or foster care placement).
The weekly benefit amounts are the same for DI and PFL claims. For calendar year 2020, the DIEC minimum weekly benefit amount is $50 and the maximum weekly benefit amount is $1,300.
To view the range of weekly benefit amounts, refer to Disability Insurance (DI) and Paid Family Leave (PFL) Weekly Benefit Amounts in Dollar Increments (DE 2589) (PDF).
For more information on how to become a DIEC participant, visit How to Apply.
For calendar year 2020, DIEC premiums are based on net profit reported on your 2019 IRS Form 1040, Schedule SE or Schedule C. Each quarter, one fourth of this amount is reported as “wage credits.” The DIEC premium rate for 2020 is 5.25 percent of the first $122,909 in net income. The premium includes contributions for DI and PFL benefits.
Determine Premiums by Net Profit
If the net profit shown on line 3 of your 2019 IRS Form 1040, Schedule SE or line 31 on Schedule C is:
- $4,600 or less, you will pay an annual premium of $241.50 during 2020. Your premium will be paid in four equal quarterly installments.
- $4,601 to $122,909, multiply your net profit by 5.25 percent to determine your 2020 annual premium. Your premium will be paid in four equal quarterly installments.
- $122,910 to $491,635, your annual premium for 2020 will be $6,452.72. Because premiums are based on the first $122,909 of reported net profits, your quarterly installments may be higher at the beginning of the year than at the end of the year.
- $491,636 or more, your entire 2020 premium of $6,452.72 will be due at the end of the first quarter and becomes delinquent after April 30, 2020.
For information about the DIEC program, contact the DIEC unit at 1-916-654-6288 or EDD Taxpayer Assistance Center at 1-888-745-3886 (TTY users dial the California Relay Service at 711). Representatives are available Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Offices are closed weekends and holidays.
Send correspondence to:
Employment Development Department
DIEC Unit, MIC 5
P.O. Box 826880
Sacramento, CA 94280-0001
For questions about filing a claim, contact State Disability Insurance (DI or PFL) by telephone, in person, or correspondence.