EDD Media Services provides the latest news releases, compelling broadcast quality videos, soundbites and b-roll, photos, and useful information for English- and Spanish-language media.
- You can reach the EDD’s Media Services office at 916-654-9029 or by email.
- To request information through the Public Records Act, visit Public Records Request
- To be added to the EDD’s News Release distribution list, send a request by email.
- For non-media inquiries, visit Contact EDD.
- For more information on videos and photos, visit Multimedia.
Unemployment Insurance (UI) Data Dashboard
The EDD releases a weekly data dashboard to illustrate the continued demand for unemployment benefits during the pandemic. Visit Quick Stats for UI claims data by county, which is generally a month behind state data. Localized data will be posted when available.
|Current Week||Prior Weeks||Total|
|July 25, 2020||Week Ending March 14 – July 18, 2020||Week Ending March 14 – July 25, 2020|
|Total Applications Submitted
(Approximate UI Online applications received from unemployed workers)1
|Total Claims Processed
(Approximate applications processed by the EDD including reopened claims)4
|Total Benefits Paid
(Approximate combination of first benefit payments and continued claim biweekly payments)5
|Regular UI||$2.6 billion||$36.1 billion||$38.7 billion|
|PUA||$2.6 billion||$11.8 billion||$14.3 billion|
|PEUC2||$211 million||$1.8 billion||$2 billion|
|FED-ED3||$15 million||$16 million||$31 million|
|Total||$5.4 billion||$49.7 billion||$55.1 billion|
|Individuals Paid Benefits
(Expressed as four-week rolling totals to account for different biweekly payment cycles)6, 7
- The Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) was implemented in California on April 28, 2020. This data includes new initial claims only.
- The Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) was implemented in California on May 27, 2020. PEUC claims are an extension of a regular UI claim. For the week ending July 18, 2020, PEUC total weeks claimed was 215,671.
- FED-ED was implemented in California on July 1, 2020. FED-ED claims are an extension of a regular UI claim.
- Claims processed through UI Online, along with about 5% of claims that arrive via paper or phone. This accounts for claims received in the current week as well as past weeks. The data also includes claims that are reopened when there is a break in certifying for benefits. For example when the claimant returns to work but then later comes back to collect benefits on their initial claim.
- Includes $600 federal stimulus payments the EDD adds to each week of regular UI, PUA, PEUC, and FED-ED benefits. Regular UI benefits are paid out of California's UI Trust Fund with contributions from employers. PUA, PEUC, FED-EDD, and the $600 federal stimulus payments are paid for by the federal government. The total benefits paid may not add up due to rounding of data.
- Counts include individuals claiming regular UI, PEUC, and FED-ED benefits. If an individual claims a regular UI, PEUC, or FED-ED benefits in a four-week rolling time period, they are only counted once.
- Four-week rolling totals accommodate for numerous variables that dictate what claimants receive benefits in any given biweekly period. Data excludes claimants who were fully employed, disqualified or had excessive earnings that would disqualify them for a week of benefits.
- Four-week rolling total between week ending July 4 and week ending July 25, 2020.
- Four-week rolling total between week ending June 27 and week ending July 18, 2020.