EDD Media Services provides the latest news releases, compelling broadcast quality videos, soundbites and b-roll, photos, and useful information for English- and Spanish-language media.
- You can reach the EDD’s Media Services office at 916-654-9029 or by email.
- To request information through the Public Records Act, visit Public Records Request
- To be added to the EDD’s News Release distribution list, send a request by email.
- For non-media inquiries, visit Contact EDD.
- For more information on videos and photos, visit Multimedia.
Unemployment Insurance (UI) Data Dashboard
The EDD releases a weekly data dashboard to illustrate the continued demand for unemployment benefits during the pandemic. Visit Quick Stats for UI claims data by county, which is generally a month behind state data. Localized data will be posted when available.
|Week Ending Date||Total Applications Submitted
(Approximate UI Online applications received from unemployed workers)1
|Total Claims Processed
(Approximate applications processed by the EDD)1,2
|Total Benefits Paid
(Approximate combination of first benefit payments and continued claim biweekly payments)3
|Individuals Paid Benefits
(Expressed as four-week rolling totals to account for different biweekly payment cycles) 4
|Reg. UI||PUA||Total||Reg. UI||PUA||Total||Reg. UI||PUA||Total||Reg. UI||PUA||Total|
|May 23, 2020||138,259||110,155||248,414||203,786||94,7321||298,518||$1.8 billion||$715 million||$2.6 billion||3.4 million||517,000||3.9 million5|
|March 14 – May 16, 2020||4 million||687,000||4.7 million||4.5 million||547,000||5.1 million||$14.3 billion||$1.9 billion||$16.2 billion||3.3 million||453,000||3.8 million6|
|Total for the last 11 weeks7||4.9 million||5.4 million||$18.8 billion||This information isn't meant to be totaled as it's a four-week rolling total.|
- The Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) was released in California effective April 28, 2020.
- Claims processed through UI OnlineSM, along with about 5% of claims that arrive via paper or phone. This accounts for claims received in the current week as well as in past weeks.
- Includes $600 federal stimulus payments the EDD adds to each week of regular UI/PUA benefits. Regular UI benefits are paid out of California’s UI Trust Fund with contributions from employers, PUA, and $600 federal stimulus payments are paid for by the federal government.
- Four week rolling totals accommodate for numerous variables that dictate what claimants receive benefits in any given biweekly period. Data excludes claimants were who fully employed, disqualified or had excessive earnings that would disqualify them for a week of benefits.
- Four-week running total between week ending May 2 and week ending May 23, 2020.
- Four-week running total between week ending April 25 and week ending May 16, 2020.
- Rounded totals. Claims processed counts can be higher than submitted applications due to processing of applications submitted prior to week ending March 14.