Services for Veterans
The EDD recognizes and honors all military veterans for their service to our country. While in the military, a veteran gains valuable skills and experience and the EDD is here to help maximize on those gains. We offer resources for veterans to meet their career and employment goals to successfully transition from military service to a civilian career.
Learn how we helped these veterans reach their employment goals.
Veteran Success Stories
Air Force Service Member Receives Advanced Career Training
Army Veteran Transitions to Post Military Employment
Army Veteran Balances Career and Family
Army Veteran Finds Employment, and Supports Other Veterans
Disabled Army Veteran Elevates His Job Search
"Entering the job force is pretty terrifying, Craig’s help has been awesome."
– Michael Burk
US Air Force, Yuba County, on working with Craig Grays, EDD Local Veteran Employer Representative
"Participating in the workshops and career fair helped advance my career."
– Teresa P.
Veteran, Sacramento County
"I ended up walking into the Sacramento AJCC and met a Local Veteran’s Employment Representative (LVER) who told me that the state had positions that were available to veterans only, his being one of them…I immediately knew that I wanted to do the same job that he was doing."
– Joseph Erby
US Army Military Police Corps, Sacramento County, EDD Local Veteran’s Employment Representative
"Chris and everyone at the EDD were very helpful. Whatever services that I needed to land and get the job, they were there for me. I am very grateful."
– Hector Ines
US Army, Contra Costa County, on working with Christopher Crisostomo, Disabled Veterans’ Outreach Program Specialist
"I don't feel I could have gotten this job without the help of the AJCC and the veteran representatives."
– Willie Stone
US Army National Guard, Northern California, on working with his local America’s Job Center of California (AJCC) and EDD’s Disabled Veterans' Outreach Program specialists Michael Cogle and Chris Robertson to get his new job.
For current information on California’s veterans in the workforce, review the California Veterans in the Workforce 2021 (PDF) report.
- Office Locator: Search for your local office to find an EDD representative available to work with you.
- Job Fairs and Workshops: Find local job fairs and workshops for veterans in your area.
- Unemployment Insurance If you lost your job through no fault of your own, you could be eligible to receive weekly unemployment benefit payments.
- Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC): Find out if you qualify to tell your potential employer that you’re a veteran when you first apply or are being interviewed.
- California Department of Veterans Affairs: More information on state and federal benefits for veterans.
- US Department of Veterans Affairs: Make the Connection: Offers solutions to issues affecting the lives of veterans, and their families and friends.
- Center for Women Veterans Fact Sheet (PDF): At-a-glance information for women veterans from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Center for Women Veterans Frequently Asked Questions: Answers to common questions from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Women Veterans Health Care: Find support for all women veterans.
- Survivors' and Dependents' Increased Educational Benefit: Provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans.
- Homeless Veterans: Offers resources, programs, and benefits to end veteran homelessness.
- Veterans Crisis Line: Connects veterans in crisis, and their families and friends, with qualified, caring responders.
- I am a Dependent or Survivor: Support for the surviving family of military personnel who died during or after active service.
- US Department of Labor: Military Spouses: Helps military spouses understand how their professional licenses and credentials can transfer from one duty station to another.
- CalJOBSSM: Find highly qualified veterans.
- Hire a Veteran: Resources to assist employers to find, hire, and retain veterans.
- HIRE Vets Medallion Program: Recognizes small businesses, nonprofit organizations, and large companies for their leadership in recruiting, employing, and keeping America's veterans employed.
- USERRA Information: Find information on the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act.
- SkillBridge Partnership Program: The Department of Defense invests in training for service members including extensive on-the-job training. Employers can tap into the expertise of former Service members by sponsoring internship and pre-apprenticeship opportunities.