Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19)
Getting Started: Unemployment Benefits
Learn what benefits are available, how to apply, and what to expect after you’ve used all of your benefits or your claim has expired.
When Your Benefit Year Ends
If it’s been more than one year since you applied for unemployment, you may need to file a new claim.
The EDD provides a variety of support services to people who have lost their jobs, had their hours reduced, or had their businesses affected due to the impacts of COVID-19 in California. For faster and more convenient access to those services, we encourage the use of our online options.
For the latest Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim data available, visit the Newsroom.
If you already filed for UI, refer to our step-by-step instructions for what to expect through the course of your claim.
- Starting July 11, 2021, most people on unemployment will be expected to search for work to maintain their eligibility for benefits. We can help you meet the work-search requirement.
- For employers, we offer valuable no-cost programs, resources, and services to help you reopen your business and hire employees.
- If it’s been more than one year since you applied for unemployment, you may need to file a new claim. Visit Benefit Year End for more information.
- Visit COVID-19 financial resources for state programs and assistance including food, eviction protection, and mortgage relief.
- The federal government approved legislation to extend federal unemployment benefits. This legislation:
- Continues the federal increase for all unemployment benefits, which adds $300 to each week of benefits through September 4, 2021.
- Extends Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) and Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) up to 29 weeks through September 4, 2021.
- Continues the federally funded FED-ED through September 11, 2021, providing up to 20 weeks of benefits. We will continue to provide updates as they become available. For the latest information, monitor Federal Provisions for Unemployment and your UI OnlineSM account.
Get answers to specific questions you may have about COVID-19 and what programs and benefits may be available to you.Visit COVID-19 FAQs
Find the resources you need to file for unemployment, disability, or Paid Family Leave benefits and how to get back to work quickly.Access Worker Resources
Learn how you can manage the impact of COVID-19 on your business and affected workers.Access Employer Resources
If you need general or technical support, or to get help with your UI claim, visit Contact Us.
- Labor and Workforce Development Agency – Resources for employers and workers including workers’ compensation and paid sick leave.
- Labor Commissioner’s Office FAQs – Employee leave options, compensation, and salary.
- Department of Fair Employment and Housing – Job protection and employment discrimination.
- OnwardCA – One-stop resource for Californians impacted by job loss during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Essential Needs – Includes food, health, housing, and other assistance.
- CalFresh – Provides monthly food assistance to people and families with low income, including those who lost their job because of the pandemic.
- California Public Utilities Commission – Learn what utility assistance programs are available.
- Covered California – Resources to get information and apply for low- or no-cost health insurance.
- California Department of Public Health
- Unemployment Benefits Chart (PDF)
- Unemployment Benefits Chart – Armenian (PDF)
- Unemployment Benefits Chart – Simplified Chinese (PDF)
- Unemployment Benefits Chart – Traditional Chinese (PDF)
- Unemployment Benefits Chart – Korean (PDF)
- Unemployment Benefits Chart – Tagalog (PDF)
- Unemployment Benefits Chart – Vietnamese (PDF)
- Unemployment Programs Flowchart (PDF)
- Unemployment Programs Flowchart – Armenian (PDF)
- Unemployment Programs Flowchart – Simplified Chinese (PDF)
- Unemployment Programs Flowchart – Traditional Chinese (PDF)
- Unemployment Programs Flowchart – Korean (PDF)
- Unemployment Programs Flowchart – Tagalog (PDF)
- Unemployment Programs Flowchart – Vietnamese (PDF)