Nonindustrial Disability Insurance Claim Process

Nonindustrial Disability Insurance (NDI) provides partial wage replacement to eligible California state employees who have a loss of wages due to a non-work-related disability. NDI also includes Nonindustrial Disability Insurance-Family Care Leave (NDI-FCL).

Follow These Steps

You must meet the following requirements to be eligible for NDI benefits:

  • Be an active state employee not covered by State Disability Insurance (SDI).
  • Be unable to do your regular work for at least eight days due to a non-work-related disability.
  • Have lost wages because of your disability.
  • Be under the care and treatment of a licensed health professional or an accredited religious practitioner within the first eight days of your disability. The date your claim begins can be adjusted if it does not meet this requirement. You must remain under their care and treatment to continue receiving benefits.

Ask your employer’s personnel specialist or payroll officer for the First Claim for Nonindustrial Disability Insurance (NDI) (DE 8501) (PDF) because they first must confirm you are enrolled in the Annual Leave Program and excluded from bargaining. Contact us at 1-866-758-9768 to get medical extension forms.

Your employer will complete and sign Part A - Employer Information.

You will complete and sign Part B - Claim Statement of Employee.

Your licensed health professional must complete and sign Part C - Physician/Practitioner Certificate.

Things to Know About Your Claim Start Date

  • The day you became unable to work due to your disability is the date your disability begins.
  • You can file your claim after the first day your disability begins.
  • If you have any questions about your claim start date, before filing your claim contact us at 1-866-758-9768.
  • Your claim may have a 7 or 10 day waiting period. Check with your Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) or personnel specialist for additional details about your waiting period.

Your licensed health professional must certify your disability by completing and submitting Part C - Physician/Practitioner Certificate of the claim form. It is your responsibility to have your licensed health professional complete and sign the form and submit it to the EDD. Your claim is not complete until we receive the completed medical certification.

Mail the completed form to:

Employment Development Department/NDI
PO Box 2168
Stockton, CA 95201-2168

Once we receive your completed claim application, we will determine your eligibility. You can expect this process to take up to 14 days.

Note: Processing time may vary depending on the claim. If your claim is incomplete or requires additional information, confirming eligibility can be delayed.

We will send you the Notice of Eligibility for Nonindustrial Disability Insurance or Nonindustrial Disability Insurance - Family Care Leave (NDI-FCL) (DE 8500) with your approved time period. We will also send an Authorization to Pay Nonindustrial Disability Insurance or Nonindustrial Disability Insurance - Family Care Leave (NDI-FCL) (DE 8500A) to your employer with your authorized time period.

Eligible for Benefits

Before you receive benefits, you must serve an unpaid 7 or 10-day waiting period (calendar days) based on your employment status and employee collective bargaining unit. All or part of the waiting period may be waived under certain circumstances. These could include being confined in a hospital or nursing home, or any circumstance stated by your bargaining agreement.

Not Eligible for Benefits

If you are not eligible, we will send you a Notice of Determination (DE 8517) and an Appeal Form (DE 1000A). You have the right to appeal any decision by completing the DE 1000A electronically or by mail within 30 days of the date your form was issued.

For more information, visit State Disability Insurance Appeals.

Continue Benefits

You are eligible to receive benefits until the estimated recovery date your licensed health professional provides us. When your claim is confirmed, we will send you a Physician’s Supplementary Certificate (DE 8500B) by mail. If you did not receive this form, or need a medical extension form, contact us at 1-866-758-9768.

If you have not fully recovered and want to continue benefits, you must have your licensed health professional complete the DE 8500B and return the form to us to certify your continuing disability.

Note: We will send you the DE 8500B by mail. It is not available to view or order online.

Stop Your Benefits

If you recover or return to work on the date your licensed health professional provided us, no further action is required to stop your claim.

If you have been approved to go back to work before the licensed health professional's estimated date of recovery, complete the DE 8500 and return it to us. If you previously recovered or returned to work and became ill or injured again, immediately file a new claim form (DE 8501) and report the dates you worked.

Find DI and PFL Information for You

Additional Resources

Can’t find what you are looking for? View these DI and PFL resources for more information.