Paid Family Leave Benefits and Payments FAQs

En español

Paid Family Leave (PFL) provides working Californians up to eight weeks of partial pay to take time off work to care for a seriously ill family member (child, parent, parent-in-law, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or registered domestic partner) or to bond with a new child entering the family through birth, adoption, or foster care placement.

If eligible, you can receive about 60 to 70 percent (depending on income) of wages earned 5 to 18 months before your claim start date for up to 8 weeks within any 12-month period. The length of time worked at your current job does not affect eligibility.

To learn more, visit Calculating Paid Family Leave Benefit Payment Amounts or use the Weekly Benefit Amount Calculator to estimate your benefit amount.

Yes. When you file your claim, you have the option to choose either the EDD debit card issued by Bank of America or a check issued by the EDD.

Most benefit payments are issued within two weeks after the EDD receives a properly completed claim online or by mail. By filling in your application completely and verifying that all information is correct, you help ensure your benefit payment is issued promptly.

You may receive PFL benefits for up to 8 weeks within any 12-month period for care or bonding, and this time does not have to be taken all at once. If you’re a parent taking time off to bond with a child, you may only receive PFL benefits during the first year after your child’s birth, adoption, or foster care placement.

PFL is funded by mandatory payroll deductions from covered workers. This means that your previous paychecks helped pay for your own benefits and the benefits of millions of other eligible Californians.

You can apply for PFL by completing the Claim for Paid Family Leave (PFL) Benefits (DE 2501F) form online or by mail.

To apply online, you must first complete a one-time registration using Benefit Programs Online (BPO) to establish an online account. Visit the BPO login page and select Register to get started creating an account now. For more information, visit How to File a PFL Claim in SDI Online.

BPO registration is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

After you have registered for and logged in to BPO, select SDI Online, which will direct you to the SDI Online Registration Options. Once your registration is complete, log in to BPO and select SDI Online to be directed to your Home page to file your claim.

Note: It may be necessary to send some documents via U.S. mail even if you selected electronic communication.

To apply by mail, visit How to File a PFL Claim by Mail.

For bonding claims, your application must include documentation showing the relationship between you and your new child (for example, a copy of the child’s birth certificate or record, adoptive placement agreement, or foster care placement record).

For caregiving claims, your application must also include a medical certification from your family member’s physician/practitioner and the care recipient’s or their authorized representative’s signature.

No. PFL does not protect your job. It only provides paid benefits when you need time off work to care for a seriously ill family member or to bond with a new child entering the family. However, your job may be protected through other laws, such as the federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) or the California Family Rights Act (CFRA).

For more information, visit the Family and Medical Leave Act and the California Family Rights Act FAQs page. You can also contact the Department of Labor at 1-866-487-2365 or the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing at 1-800-884-1684.

Your claim will be processed about 14 business days after the EDD receives your properly completed application.

All PFL claims must be completed and submitted no earlier than the first day your family leave begins, but no later than 41 days after your first day of leave.

PFL benefits for bonding must be claimed within one year of your child’s birth, adoption, or foster care placement, so you should file your claim no later than eight to nine weeks before the anniversary of the child entering your family.

No. You may not receive Disability Insurance or Unemployment Insurance benefits for the same period in which PFL benefits are paid.

Yes. If your workers’ compensation weekly benefit amount is less than your weekly PFL benefit amount, you may be eligible to receive the difference.

Yes. You will receive a 1099-G tax form in January of the following year you received benefits. For more information, visit the FAQs - Form 1099G page or contact the IRS.

For state taxes, PFL benefit payments are not reportable by California pursuant to Revenue and Taxation Code Section 17083.

You must report:

  • If you have returned to part-time, intermittent, or full-time work.
  • If you have stopped providing care or bonding.
  • The date of death of the care or bonding recipient.
  • Any wages received. See Reporting Your Wages for a complete list of wages to report.

Reporting this information ensures you receive the correct benefit amount and prevents an overpayment.

You may report wages or that you have returned to work on the Notice of Automatic Payment - PFL (DE 2587F) or Continued Claim Certification for Paid Family Leave Benefits (DE 2580GF). You may also send a letter by mail or call PFL at 1-877-238-4373.

Yes. If you have a family member who becomes sick while you are out of work, you can apply for a Paid Family Leave claim which can provide a higher benefit amount if you’re eligible. A medical certification is required to substantiate your family member’s illness. If you are approved for a Paid Family Leave claim, your Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim will be suspended. If you complete your Paid Family Leave claim and remain unemployed, you may then return to the remainder of your UI claim benefits as long as you remain out of work and otherwise eligible. You will need to reapply to reopen your UI claim.

Visit our Disability and Paid Family Leave FAQs for more information.

If the person you are caring for or the child you are bonding with passes away, report the death to the PFL office at 1-877-238-4373. You may also notify the EDD by writing to the PO Box address printed on the payment notice. Provide the care or bonding recipient’s name and date of death, and your name, address, and phone number so we can contact you with additional instructions. Benefits are payable through the date of death if otherwise eligible.

First, you must have received your billing notice. The Benefit Overpayment Statement of Amount Due (DE 8301R) form is a billing notice that is mailed to you each month. If you have not yet received this notice or have lost it, please contact the EDD at 1-877-238-4373.

Visit Benefit Overpayments to make a payment.

For more information, view Make a Payment on a Benefit Overpayment (YouTube).

If you misplaced a form, you can obtain a new one by:

  • Calling 1-877-238-4373 (English) or 1-877-379-3819 (Spanish).
  • Visiting AskEDD:
    1. For category select PFL.
    2. For sub-category select Miscellaneous Inquiry.
    3. For topic select Other (Questions).

The EDD does not have control over employer policies. PFL provides only partial wage replacement when you need to take time off work to care for a seriously ill family member or to bond with a new child entering the family. You may have rights under other laws, such as the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) or the California Family Rights Act (CFRA).

For detailed information about the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), visit the Department of Labor or call 1-866-487-2365.

For detailed information about the California Family Rights Act (CFRA), visit the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing or call 1-800-884-1684.

The EDD has a program for self-employed individuals and independent contractors, called Disability Insurance Elective Coverage (DIEC). Premiums are based on the net profits you reported to the IRS on your Schedule SE for the previous tax year and are paid on a quarterly basis.

For more information, visit Eligibility for DIEC.

The California Unemployment Insurance Code exempts various groups from participating in the State Disability Insurance (SDI) program, which includes Disability Insurance and PFL. Among these are sole proprietors and partnerships with exempt employees, Indian tribes, and public entities, which includes most government and school district employees. For groups such as these to be covered, they must apply for and elect SDI coverage.

Employees that fall within these exempt groups may not participate in SDI as an individual. Group participation is required. See the Information Sheet for Nonprofit and/or Public Entities (DE 231NP) (PDF) and the Information Sheet for Specialized Coverage (Elective Coverage for Exempt Workers) (DE 231SC) (PDF).

No. PFL benefit information is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week using the PFL Automated Telephone Information System. You will need a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to access your information. You create your PIN using the automated telephone system.

Visit the EDD Debit Card page for debit card benefit information and Bank of America contact information.