Commercial Employer-Individual Owners, Co-Ownerships, General Partnerships
The information needed to successfully complete your registration is based on the type of business you operate. Register your business and submit any supporting documents online with e-Services for Business.
In the registration application process, you will be asked a series of questions. Gather the following information and have it available as you complete your application:
- Name and Social Security number - all responsible parties.
- Doing Business As (DBA), if applicable.
- Physical business address and mailing address.
- Business phone number.
- Valid email address (contact person and business).
- Date of first payroll when wages exceed $100.
- Nine-digit federal employer identification number (FEIN) - a FEIN can be obtained by going to the IRS website.
- Industry Description - What is the industry, product, or service that represents the greatest portion of your sales or revenue?
- Previous EDD employer payroll tax account information, if applicable.
- Name, phone number, address (if different from business or mailing address) for business contact person.
Register for an Employer Payroll Tax Account Number
Use e-Services for Business to apply for your employer payroll tax account number. It's fast, easy, secure, and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
1. Create a username and password.
- Go to e-Services for Business.
- Select Enroll.
- Enter the required information and select Continue.
- Choose your security questions and answer each question, then select Continue.
- Review the Enrollment Summary and print a copy for your records, then select Submit.
- Select the verification link in the email we sent you to complete the enrollment process.
Important: If you do not verify your email address within 24 hours, you will need to restart the enrollment process.
2. Log in to e-Services for Business.
- Select New Employer, then select Next.
- Select Register for Employer Payroll Tax Account Number.
- Complete the online registration application.
- Select Submit.
- Employment (DE 231)
- Specialized Coverage (Elective Coverage for Exempt Workers) (DE 231SC)
- Multi-State Employment (DE 231D)
- Family Employment (DE 231FAM)
- Exempt Employment (DE 231EE)
Additional Information Sheets are available online at Payroll Taxes – Forms and Publications.