FAQs - California Training Benefits

California Training Benefits (CTB) allow eligible Unemployment Insurance (UI) customers to further their education, upgrade their skills, or learn a new trade to be more competitive in today’s labor market while receiving UI benefits.

No, the EDD does not pay any educational or training-related expenses such as tuition, fees, books, supplies, or transportation. However, there are state, federal, and employer assistance programs that may fund your school or training if you are approved for CTB.

Yes, if you meet all of the following criteria:

  • Your claim has not expired.
  • You meet all UI eligibility requirements.
  • You have a claim balance greater than zero.

You may be eligible for a training extension (TE) if your UI claim reaches a balance of zero and you are still attending a CTB-approved school or training.

For more information, visit Qualifying for a Training Extension.

Let us know you’re interested in CTB by week 16 of your benefit payments. If the maximum award of your claim is less than 16 weeks of benefit payments, you must contact us before your claim reaches a balance of zero. This protects your potential right to a future training extension.

If you’re interested in CTB, contact UI or talk to an EDD representative at your local America’s Job Center of CaliforniaSM (AJCC).

You only need to report your school or training during the week you begin attending. Report your start date when you file or reopen your claim, or when you certify for benefits .

No, you can only participate in CTB once you begin school or training.

Once you notify us of your school or training, we will contact you about your CTB eligibility.

Generally, we will send you an application to complete. If more information is needed, we will schedule a phone interview.

You received the California Training Benefits Program Information and Application (DE 3100T) (PDF) because you informed us of your school or training.

Complete and return this form within 10 days of the Mail Date on your form.

You received the Notice of Request for School or Training Information (DE 4365T) (PDF) because you reported your school or training by certifying for continued benefits or filing your UI claim. You showed that you are not available for work and/or you did not look for work.

Complete and return this form within 10 days of the Mail Date on your form.

You will receive the Notification of Determination (DE 1080) that includes your CTB eligibility status, general rights and responsibilities, and appeal rights.

You must continue to certify for benefits using one of the following:

Important: If there are any changes to your school or training, contact UI.

For more information, visit How to Report School or Training.

Yes; however, you must meet all of the following requirements each week you certify for benefits:

  • Physically able to work.
  • Available to work.
  • Actively seeking work.
  • Willing to accept work.

Visit the Eligible Training Types for California Training Benefits to learn more about the different CTB eligible training categories.

The following training facilities can be used while participating in approved CTB training:

  • Facilities on the Eligible Training Provider List (ETPL).
  • All public schools and colleges.
  • Regional Occupation Programs.
  • Accredited private educational facilities.
  • Private educational facilities that prepare you for licensing exams including real estate, California Bar, and state contractor licensing exams.
  • Training facilities used by the Local Workforce Investment Boards and Department of Rehabilitation.
  • Employer sponsored industry-oriented trainings.
  • Job Search Workshops that are part of the initial training program including:
    • Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act
    • Employment Training Panel
    • CalWORKs
    • Trade Adjustment Assistance

Yes, online training can be approved as long as it meets the eligibility criteria for that type of training.

Yes, you may be eligible for CTB if you are enrolled in one of the following training types:

  • Workforce Innovation Opportunity Act
  • Trade Adjustment Assistance
  • Apprenticeship
  • Eligible Training Provider List
  • Teacher seeking additional credentialing in math, science, or special education
  • Union, trade association, or employer sponsored

You may also be eligible for CTB if you qualify for self-arranged training out of state, and meet all of the following criteria:

  • You have a California residency.
  • You are willing to return to the California labor market or a labor market area that shares the state border with California.
  • You have reasonable employment opportunity in California for your chosen training occupation.

Full-time school attendance is typically 20 hours per week or 12 units per semester.

A training extension (TE) provides additional benefits to approved CTB customers while completing school or training.

To protect your potential right to a future TE, contact us before week 16 of your benefit payments. If the maximum award of your claim is less than 16 weeks, you must contact us before your claim reaches a balance of zero.

To learn more about TE, visit Qualifying for a Training Extension (TE).