There are certain moments in which time itself stands still. Fleeting, priceless … these are the moments you simply cannot miss.
About Paid Family Leave
Paid Family Leave (PFL) provides benefits to individuals who need to take time off work to:
- Care for a seriously ill child, parent, parent-in-law, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or registered domestic partner.
- Bond with a new child entering the family by birth, adoption, or foster care placement.
- Participate in a qualifying event because of a family member’s (spouse, registered domestic partner, parent, or child) military deployment to a foreign country.
PFL provides benefit payments but not job protection. For information about laws that provide job-protected leave, visit:
- Department of Labor – Family and Medical Leave Act
- Department of Fair Employment and Housing – California Family Rights Act
PFL Benefit Payments
If eligible, you can receive about 60 to 70 percent (depending on income) of wages earned 5 to 18 months before your claim start date for up to eight weeks within any 12-month period. The length of time worked at your current job does not affect eligibility.
For more information, visit Calculating Paid Family Leave Benefit Payment Amounts and Eligibility Requirements.
When you file a claim, you can choose to receive benefit payments by EDD Debit CardSM or check. You do not have to accept the EDD Debit Card.
EDD Debit Card: If eligible, benefit payments are issued on the EDD Debit Card within 24 hours of processing your certification and immediately available to you.
EDD checks by mail: If eligible, benefit payments are issued by check from the EDD within 24 hours of processing your certification. Allow 7 to 10 days for delivery of checks in the mail.
For videos, tutorials, and self-guided trainings, visit State Disability Insurance Online Informational Tutorials and Videos.
Policy makers, program administrators, and stakeholders can view the Overview of California’s Paid Family Leave Program (DE 2530) (PDF). It provides information about the program’s financing structure, eligibility requirements, demographic and program statistics, state operations, and legislative history. To request information or data about State Disability Insurance, complete and return the State Disability Insurance Request for Information Form (DE 2541E) (PDF).
Note: Inquiries about individual claims using this form will not be answered.