News Stories on Fighting the Underground Economy
The underground economy presents a major problem for businesses and workers alike. Businesses that follow the laws and regulations face higher operating costs than those that cut corners on taxes, labor, wage and safety laws, and licensing and insurance requirements.
Workers who become employed with non-compliant, underground businesses suffer. They do not receive benefits like Unemployment Insurance or Disability Insurance. Their income is not reported, so these workers and their families will not be eligible for Social Security credits.
The Joint Enforcement Strike Force (JESF) is a partnership of California enforcement agencies that work with local and federal agencies to combat the underground economy and promote a level playing field for California businesses.
As our agencies work together to fight underground economic activity in California, we will provide articles and news stories as they are released.
- Contractors State License Board Sting in Fresno County Catches 12 Suspected Unlicensed Contractors (California Department of Consumer Affairs, Press Release May 6, 2021)
- CSLB Partners with Kern County District Attorney’s Office for Undercover Sting Operation (California Department of Consumer Affairs, Press Release April 5, 2021)
- US Department of Labor Finds Centennial Hills Hospital Medical Center Required Employees to Work After Clocking Out, Manipulated Timecards (United States Department of Labor – Wage and Hour Division, News Release June 8, 2021)
- US Department of Labor Recovers $162K in Back Wages for 45 Employees of Three Key West Restaurants After Investigations Find Overtime Violations (United States Department of Labor – Wage and Hour Division, News Release June 3, 2021)
- Commissioner Lara, Attorney General Bonta, San Diego DA Stephan Announce Sentencing in Fraud Scheme Targeting U.S. Navy Sailors (California Department of Insurance, Press Release June 14, 2021)
- Department Orders Consumer Refunds From Illegal Sales of Extended Vehicle Warranties (California Department of Insurance, Press Release June 11, 2021)
Below are some published reports that provide detailed information on the underground economy and how it affects everyone.