Eligibility Requirements for Disability Insurance Elective Coverage
For Small Business Owners, Self-Employed and Independent Contractors
Any self-employed person, independent contractor, or general partner who meets the requirements can apply for Disability Insurance Elective Coverage (DIEC). It is not required that all active general partners be included in the application.
A general partnership can include married couple co-owners who are active in managing the business. Limited partners and corporate officers are not eligible. They are considered employees and are subject to the mandatory provisions of the California Unemployment Insurance Code.
You must meet the following requirements to participate in DIEC:
- Own your own business, be self-employed, or working as an independent contractor.
- Have a minimum net profit of $4,600 annually.
- Have a valid license, if required by your occupation.
- Be able to perform all of your normal duties on a full-time basis at the time your application is submitted.
- Receive the major portion of your income from your trade, business, or job as an independent contractor.
- Your business is not seasonal.
- You must stay in the program for two complete calendar years unless you discontinue your business or move out of California.
For More Information
- Elective Coverage for Employers and Self-Employed Individuals (DE 231EC) (PDF)
- Disability Insurance Elective Coverage (DIEC) Program Fact Sheet (DE 8714CC) (PDF)
- California Unemployment Insurance Codes (Section: 701-713)
- DIEC forms and publications
- DIEC FAQs
Contact DIEC Unit
To speak with a representative, call:
- DIEC Unit at 1-916-654-6288.
- EDD Taxpayer Assistance Center at 1-888-745-3886.
- TTY users dial the California Relay Service at 711.
Representatives are available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Offices are closed weekends and holidays.
Disability Insurance and Paid Family Leave Benefits
Find DI Information for You
Can’t find what you are looking for? View these DI and PFL resources for more information.