How to File a Paid Family Leave Claim in SDI Online
The fastest and easiest way to file a Paid Family Leave (PFL) claim is online, using SDI Online.
1. Gather Required Information
You must provide the following information to file a PFL claim:
- First and last name.
- Social Security number.
- California Driver License number.
- Most current employer’s business name, phone number, and mailing address (as stated on your W-2 or paystub).
Provide the following information only if it applies to you:
- Any wages you received or expect to receive from your employer (sick leave, paid time off, vacation pay, annual leave, and wages earned after your stopped working).
- Any workers’ compensation claim information.
- Proof of Relationship for bonding claims.
- Any military assist documentation required.
Visit Benefit Programs Online (BPO) to complete a one-time registration.
- From the BPO login page, select Register to create an account. (To change the language of all pages to Spanish, select En español on the BPO login page.)
- Accept the Terms and Conditions.
- Provide a personal email address that is current and used only by you.
- Set up a password that is between 8 and 20 characters. The password is case sensitive and must contain at least:
- One uppercase letter
- One lowercase letter
- One number
- One special character from this list: !@#$%^&*( )
- Create the Security Profile with security questions and answers and a personal image and caption.
- Once you submit your registration information, an email with a link will be sent to you. Select the unique link within 48 hours to complete your registration.
BPO registration is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
After you have registered for and logged in to BPO, select SDI Online which will direct you to the SDI Online Registration Options. An EDD Customer Account Number will be provided when you complete the registration process. A notification of registration will also be sent to you by email and US Postal Service. You will now use BPO to log in to SDI Online to file a claim.
3. Log In to File a New Claim
Follow these directions to file a new claim through SDI Online:
- On the BPO login page, enter your email and select Log In.
- Verify your Personal Image and Personal Caption are correct, then provide your password and select Log In.
- Select the SDI Online button.
- Select New Claim under the main menu on your SDI Online home page.
- Select Paid Family Leave Bonding, Paid Family Leave Care, or Paid Family Leave Military Assist and follow the steps in each section to fill out the form. Note: If you are a new mother transitioning from a disability-related pregnancy claim, the form you need to complete, Claim for Paid Family Leave (PFL) Benefits – New Mother (DE 2501FP), will be located in your inbox once your Disability Insurance claim ends.
- Review your completed form information for accuracy.
- Select Submit to send the completed sections of the SDI Online application to the EDD.
- Write down the Form Receipt Number found on the confirmation page. If this is a PFL care claim, provide this number to the care recipient’s physician/practitioner.
Note: It may be necessary to send some documents via U.S. mail.
- When to submit a claim: Submit your claim no earlier than the first day your family leave begins, but no later than 41 days after your family leave begins, or you may lose benefits.
- Duplicate claims: Do not submit duplicates of the same claim. This will delay claim processing.
4. Attach Additional Documentation Required
Bonding – New Mother: No additional documents needed.
Bonding – Other: Mothers without a prior pregnancy disability claim, new fathers, and foster or adoptive parents will need to provide a Proof of Relationship document with their claim. You can mail it as a paper document to be matched to your claim or scan and upload it to your computer to attach to your claim using SDI Online. Select File a New Claim under the main menu on your home page, select Submit Electronic Paid Family Leave Bonding Attachment, then select the receipt number you received when you filed Part A. You may also mail the additional bonding claim documentation to the EDD address shown on the SDI Online Confirmation page under Important Next Steps.
Care Claims: Along with completing sections one through five of the SDI Online application, you must also provide the Part C - Statement of Care Recipient signed by the care recipient or their authorized representative. The additional form can be obtained by downloading the Claim for Paid Family Leave (PFL) Care Benefits (DE 2501FC) from the confirmation page right after your initial claim is submitted online. You can scan and upload the completed forms to your computer to submit with your claim using SDI Online. Select File a New Claim under the main menu on your home page, select Submit Electronic Paid Family Leave Care Attachment, and then select the receipt number you received when you filed your online claim. You may also mail the additional care claim documentation to the EDD address shown on the SDI Online Confirmation page under Important Next Steps.
You also need Part D - Physician/Practitioner’s Certification of the Claim for Paid Family Leave (PFL) Care Benefits (DE 2501FC) completed and signed by the care recipient’s physician/practitioner. Provide your Form Receipt Number to the physician/practitioner so they can submit the medical certification. The physician/practitioner can submit the certification using SDI Online or you can have them complete and sign a paper version.
Talk to the physician/practitioner about their process for submitting a PFL claim. They do not all follow the same process.
It is your responsibility to have the physician/practitioner complete and sign the form and submit it to the EDD within 41 days from the date your family leave begins or you may lose benefits.
Military Assist Claims: Along with completing sections one through five of the SDI Online application, you will need to provide supporting documentation and documentation for the qualifying event.
Acceptable supporting documentation includes:
- Covered active duty orders.
- Letter of impending call or order to covered duty.
- Documentation of military leave signed by the approving authority for the military member's rest and recuperation.
Documentation for the qualifying event must also be provided, which may include:
- A copy of a meeting announcement for informational briefings sponsored by the military.
- A copy of a bill for services for the handling of legal or financial affairs.
- A letter with detailed information (reason for meeting, location, contact information) for the meeting with a third party.
You can scan and upload the documentation to your computer to submit with your claim using SDI Online. Select File a New Claim under the main menu on your home page, select Submit Electronic Paid Family Leave Military Assist Attachment, and then select the receipt number you received when you filed Part A. You may also mail the additional military assist documentation to the EDD address shown on the SDI Online Confirmation page under Important Next Steps.
5. Completion of Your PFL Claim Filing
Your claim will not be processed until all the required sections (as explained in previous steps) of the application are received. The EDD will contact you with the status of your claim. If you want more information on how to file a claim online through SDI Online, review the SDI Online Claimant Tutorial.
Your employer will be notified that you have submitted a PFL claim. However, medical information is confidential and will not be shared with your employer.
For more information, visit Paid Family Leave Claim Process.