Federal/State Employment Taxes - Bulk Transmissions
The Federal/State Employment Taxes (FSET) program provides a standardized method for making tax payments and reporting employment tax and wage information in Extensible Markup Language (XML) through a secure application-to-application transmission.
The FSET program is open to software developers, transmitters, payroll service providers, who act as reporting agents, and employers who want to develop their own software. If you want to use the services of a participating payroll service provider or transmitter, refer to the list of approved FSET providers.
The FSET program fulfills the requirement for employers to file electronically and remit payments by electronic funds transfer (EFT) to us.
FSET allows you to transmit the following:
- Payroll Tax Deposit (DE 88)
- Quarterly Contribution Return and Report of Wages (DE 9)
- Quarterly Contribution Return and Report of Wages (Continuation) (DE 9C)
- Report of New Employee(s) (DE 34)
- Report of Independent Contractor(s) (DE 542)
- Quarterly Contribution Return (DE 3D)
Payroll service providers can submit Data Exchange and Enrollment files to:
- Retrieve their clients’ tax rates.
- Verify their clients’ EDD employer payroll tax account numbers.
- Check their clients’ EFT mandatory status.
- Notify us when they acquire or no longer represent clients.
If you are developing your own FSET program, follow these steps to get started:
- Download the schemas and follow the instructions in the Federal/State Employment Taxes Implementation Guide (DE 545) .
- Enroll in e-Services for Business to create your username and password. Complete the Federal/State Employment Taxes (FSET) Enrollment (DE 547) (PDF).
- After you register, you will be provided with information for your certification testing.
- Complete your certification testing. Once testing has been successfully completed, you will receive the production permission and URL.
Note: Payroll agents and software developers who successfully pass certification testing can complete a Federal/State Employment Taxes Website Link Agreement (DE 548) (PDF) to be added to the list of approved FSET providers .
For More Help
If you have questions about FSET, refer to our FAQs – Federal/State Employment Taxes (FSET) - Bulk Transmissions or call FSET Customer Service at 1-866-592-1651.