Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19)
The EDD provides a variety of support services to people who have lost their jobs, had their hours reduced, or had their businesses affected during economic downturns like the one created by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The federal unemployment benefit programs associated with the pandemic have ended. For more information, visit Federal Provisions for Unemployment. However, you may still be eligible for regular unemployment benefits or other support services from the EDD.
Benefits Available to You
You may be eligible for benefit payments through the following programs:
- Unemployment Insurance – For workers who have lost their job or had their hours reduced.
- Disability Insurance – For workers who need time off work due to illness, injury, or pregnancy.
- Paid Family Leave – For workers who need time off for childbirth, caregiving, or bonding.
Apply for Benefits
The fastest way to apply for unemployment, disability, or Paid Family Leave is through Benefit Programs Online.
- Employers: Reopening Your Business and Hiring Employees – Valuable no-cost programs, resources, and services.
- Labor and Workforce Development Agency – Resources for employers and workers including workers’ compensation and paid sick leave.
- Labor Commissioner’s Office FAQs – Employee leave options, compensation, and salary.
- Civil Rights Department – Job protection and employment discrimination.
Other Benefits and Services
- COVID-19 Worker Benefits and Leave Navigator – Answer a few questions to find benefits you may qualify for.
- COVID-19 Financial Resources – State programs and assistance including food, eviction protection, and mortgage relief.
- Essential Needs – Includes food, health, housing, and other assistance.
- CalFresh – Provides monthly food assistance to people and families with low income, including those who lost their job because of the pandemic.
- California Public Utilities Commission – Learn what utility assistance programs are available.
- Covered California – Resources to get information and apply for low- or no-cost health insurance.
- California Department of Public Health
- COVID-19 Funeral Assistance
Digital and Translated Materials
- Federal Unemployment Benefits End (PDF)
- Federal Unemployment Benefits End – Armenian (PDF)
- Federal Unemployment Benefits End – Simplified Chinese (PDF)
- Federal Unemployment Benefits End – Traditional Chinese (PDF)
- Federal Unemployment Benefits End – Korean (PDF)
- Federal Unemployment Benefits End – Tagalog (PDF)
- Federal Unemployment Benefits End – Vietnamese (PDF)
To learn what to expect after applying, visit one of the following:
- Unemployment Insurance – After You Apply.
- Note: If it's been more than one year since you applied, you may need to file a new claim. Visit Benefit Year End.
- Paid Family Leave - Claim Process
- Disability Insurance – Claim Process
To contact the EDD, visit Contact Us.