Benefit Overpayment Services
A benefit overpayment is when you receive an unemployment, disability, or Paid Family Leave benefit you are not eligible for. It is important to repay this benefit as soon as possible to avoid collection and possible legal action.
Repay a benefit overpayment using one of the following methods:
Benefit Overpayment Services is the most convenient way to manage your benefit overpayment. By enrolling, you can:
- Make a payment.
- View your balance and payments.
- Set up an installment agreement.
Access Benefit Overpayment Services using your Benefit Programs Online account. Select Benefit Programs Online to log in or register.
Pay online by Automated Clearing House (ACH) debit (no fee) or by credit card (fee applies). No enrollment necessary.
Pay by phone with a credit card through Official Payments Corporation (fee applies).
- Call toll-free 1-800-2PAYTAX (1-800-272-9829).
- Choose option 3.
- Enter jurisdiction code 1577 and follow the recorded instructions.
Pay by mail using a personal check, cashier’s check, or money order payable to the EDD and include your Claimant ID number (found on your monthly billing statement/payment voucher) (no fee).
Mail payments to:
Employment Development Department
Attention: Cashier Benefit Recovery
PO Box 826806
Sacramento, CA 94206-0001
Resources and FAQs
- Benefit Programs Online Overview and Registration (YouTube)
- Enroll in Benefit Overpayment Services (YouTube)
- Make a Payment in Benefit Overpayment Services (YouTube)
- Set Up an Installment Agreement in Benefit Overpayment Services (YouTube)
- FAQs - Benefit Overpayments
- FAQs - Benefit Overpayment Services
- FAQs - Benefit Overpayment Credit Card Payments
For questions regarding your benefit overpayment, contact the Benefit Overpayment Collection Section at 1-800-676-5737 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Pacific time, Monday through Friday, except on state holidays.