Paid Family Leave – Stop or Continue Your Benefits

En español

If eligible, you may receive up to six weeks of Paid Family Leave (PFL) benefits. In general, you will continue to receive benefits during your PFL period. However, there are times when you may be required to notify the EDD to stop or continue your benefits.

Note: Effective July 1, 2020, PFL extends the total claim timeframe from six weeks to eight weeks. PFL provides working Californians the ability to take time off work to care for a seriously ill family member or to bond with a new child.

Individuals may choose to delay filing their PFL claim until July 1, 2020, or after to receive the extended leave benefit.

Stop Your Benefits

You must notify the EDD to stop your benefits if any of the following happen during your PFL period:

  • You return to part-time or full-time work.
  • The care recipient recovers from their illness or injury.
  • The death of a care or bonding recipient.

To stop your benefits, notify the EDD using AskEDD, by mail, or by calling 1-877-238-4373. Failing to notify the EDD can result in an overpayment, which you must repay. Learn more about overpayments by visiting Benefit Overpayment Services.

Note: To report the death of a care or bonding recipient, you can notify the EDD by writing to the PO Box address printed on the payment notice. Provide the care or bonding recipient’s name and date of death, and your name, address, and phone number so we can contact you with additional instructions. Benefits are payable through the date of death, if otherwise eligible.

Continue Your Benefits

Certify to Continue Benefits

If you reported that you worked or will work during your PFL period, you will receive the Continued Claim Certification for Paid Family Leave Benefits (DE 2580GF). You must complete this form to certify to the days you have worked during your PFL period. Your benefits will stop if you do not return the DE 2580GF to the EDD in the mail.

Certify to Extend your PFL Period

If you need to extend your PFL period and still have benefits available, you must complete and return the Paid Family Leave (PFL) Supplemental Claim Certification (DE 2525XFA) to the EDD in the mail. You will receive this form with your Notice of Final Payment (DE 2525XF), which is issued when your claim indicates that you are ready to return to work.

To continue bonding or providing care, select the box that applies to your claim on the PFL Claimant’s Certification section of the DE 2525XFA.

Note: For care claims only, the care recipient’s physician/practitioner must complete the Physician’s Supplementary Certificate section of the DE 2525XFA.

If you misplaced the DE 2525XFA, request the form using AskEDD or by calling 1-877-238-4373.