Respond to Your Request for Identity Verification
If we couldn’t verify your identity based on the information you gave us when you filed for unemployment, we will notify you that you will need to provide additional documentation and which specific method you must use to verify your identity. Complete this step in UI OnlineSM, with ID.me, or respond to the Request for Identity Verification (DE 1326C) mailed to you.
How Should You Verify Your Identity?
There are two ways to verify your identity online. We will send you a message telling you whether to use ID.me or the Document Upload feature in UI Online.
You must use ID.me to verify your identity if you received a message in UI Online that your claim was suspended. The message will have an ID.me link to select and start verifying.
After successfully verifying through ID.me, the EDD will remove this suspension from your claim within 7-10 days. Until then, continue to certify for benefits in UI Online to prevent delays in processing your claim. If there are no other issues on your claim and you meet all other eligibility requirements, payments will be issued once this suspension is removed.
Important: You have 10 days from the message date to verify your identity before we will send you a disqualification notice.
For more help, review How to Set Up and Protect Your ID.me Account (PDF).
Use the Document Upload feature in UI Online to verify your identity. If we need you to verify your identity, you will get a message asking you to:
- Visit your UI Online homepage and select Upload Identity Documents. You will only see this option if there has been an issue verifying your identity.
- You may also receive this request in the mail.
Gather Your Documents
For us to verify your identity, you must provide two documents:
- One photo identification document
- One other identity document
You have 10 calendar days from the Mail Date on the Request for Identity Verification (DE 1326C) mailed to you to respond with your proof of identity.
To request more time, you must call 1-866-401-2849 or mail a request to the address at the top of the Request for Identity Verification (DE 1326C) mailed to you. We must receive your request within 10 calendars days of the Mail Date on the paper form.
If we do not receive your correct identification documents or a request for more time, or we are not able to verify your identity:
- You will not be eligible for benefits.
- You will receive a disqualification notice (Notice of Determination) in the mail.
- You will have to file an appeal to receive benefits for this claim.
- You may receive an additional request to verify your identity.
Avoid Common Mistakes
For faster processing and to avoid delays or penalties, make sure:
- Your information matches. Your name, date of birth, and Social Security number must match the information on file with the Social Security Administration (SSA) or the DMV. For example, you may have changed your name but didn’t notify the DMV.
- You submit the correct documentation. You must provide documents with your correct name or date of birth, such as an official birth certificate or marriage certificate.
Note: We will not update your information with the SSA, the DMV, or your employer. Contact them directly to make changes.