Cash and Credit Card Payments
PayNearMe Cash Payments
Use PayNearMe to make your Payroll Tax Deposit (DE 88) cash payments electronically at participating locations. This payment option fulfills the E-file and E-pay Mandate for Employers.
Make a Cash Payment
- Visit PayNearMe. Provide your name and employer payroll tax account number to create a personal barcode.
- Print or send the barcode to your mobile device. This barcode can be re-used for future payments.
- Search for the nearest PayNearMe location by entering “Employment Development Department” as the biller name.
- Visit the nearest PayNearMe location and present your barcode to the cashier.
- Make your cash payment and keep the receipt for your records. Your payment is effective on the date the payment was made.
- After making your payment, call the e-Pay Group at 1-916-654-9130 to provide your payment information, or submit a completed PayNearMe Cash Payroll Tax Remittance Detail (DE 32) (PDF):
Employment Development Department
e-Pay Group, MIC 15-A
PO Box 826880
Sacramento, CA 94280-0001
By fax: 1-916-654-7441
For questions regarding your payment, call the e-Pay Group at 1-916-654-9130 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Pacific time, except on state holidays.
PayNearMe accepts up to $2,500 in a 24 hour period ($1,000 per transaction limit) and $10,000 per month. PayNearMe also charges a fee of $5.99 per transaction.
It may take up to five business days for your payment to post to your employer payroll tax account. To avoid late penalties and interest, make sure your payment is made on time. For more information on payroll tax due dates, visit Required Filings and Due Dates.
Credit Card Payments
You can make credit card payments with ACI Payments Inc., online or by phone.
Note: ACI Payments, Inc. will charge a convenience fee of 2.3 percent (.023) of the payment amount to use your credit card. The minimum fee is $1. The convenience fee is not revenue to the EDD.
To make an online payment:
- Visit the ACI Payments, Inc. website.
- Select State Payments.
- Enter jurisdiction code 1501 and select Make a Payment.
- Select Payment Type.
- Select Make a Payment and complete the required fields.
Pay by Phone
To make a credit card payment by phone:
- Call toll-free 1-800-2PAY-TAX (1-800-272-9829).
- Choose option 2.
- Enter jurisdiction code 1501 and follow the recorded instructions.
ACI Payments, Inc. is not under the control of the EDD, and the EDD is not responsible for the contents or links on their website. The EDD recommends that you review ACI Payments, Inc. security and confidentiality statements.
For more information, visit FAQs – Payroll Tax Credit Card Payments.