Form 1099G: Taxable Unemployment Compensation FAQs

Form 1099G reports the total taxable income issued to you by the EDD for a calendar year. For complete information, visit Tax Information (Form 1099G).

Confirm the amount on your 1099G by viewing your Payment History in UI OnlineSM. To learn how to get detailed unemployment payment information in UI Online, refer to UI Online: Access Tax Information/Form 1099G Using UI Online (YouTube).

If you cannot access your information online, call our Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System at 1-866-333-4606 to get your Form 1099G information or to request that your 1099G be mailed to you. This option is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you still don’t agree with the amount, call 1-866-401-2849, Monday through Friday, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. (Pacific time), except on state holidays. Make sure you provide your current address and phone number.

If your question cannot be answered when you call, we will mail you a response.

In most cases, your Disability Insurance (DI) benefits are not taxable. However, if you are receiving unemployment benefits, then become ill or injured and begin receiving DI benefits, the DI benefits are considered a substitute for unemployment benefits, which are taxable.

If DI benefits are taxable, you will receive a notice with your first benefit payment. You will receive a Form 1099G for your federal return only. Due to the extremely high volume of unemployment claims filed, the IRS is allowing the EDD to process 1099G tax forms through February. You can access your Form 1099G information in your UI OnlineSM account. If you see a $0 amount on your 2020 form, call 1-866-401-2849, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Pacific time), except on state holidays.

Paid Family Leave (PFL) benefits are considered a type of unemployment compensation and are taxable. Your PFL benefits are taxable and reportable on your federal return only.

The amount in the Benefits Repaid box of Table A or Table B is based on payments processed between January 1 and December 31 of the tax year.

Only cash repayments are reported on Form 1099G. Benefits taken from your claim to repay an overpayment are not cash repayments, and are not included in this box. Penalties and other collection costs are not repayments of a benefit overpayment, and are not reported on Form 1099G.

For more information, visit Benefit Overpayments and Penalties. To speak with a representative, call 1-866-401-2849, Monday through Friday, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. (Pacific time), except on state holidays.

If you receive a Form 1099G but you did not file a claim for benefits and you think that someone else filed a claim under your name, address, or Social Security number, contact us to report fraud. Visit Ask EDD and select the Form 1099G category or call 1-866-401-2849, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., except on state holidays.

If we find you were a victim of fraud, we will remove the claim from your Social Security number and send you an updated 1099G. Review IRS tax guidance on benefit identity theft.

If you receive mail from the EDD that doesn’t belong to you, write “Return to Sender” on the envelope and send it to the following address:

EDD PO Box 826880
MIC 43, Sacramento, CA 94280-0225

The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, also known as the COVID-19 Stimulus Package, was signed into law by President Biden on March 11, 2021. If your income in 2020 was less than $150,000, you may not have to pay taxes on unemployment compensation of up to $10,200. Review the latest IRS guidance on unemployment compensation for more information.

Last Revised: 05/26/2022