Hiring Foreign Workers

Employers can bring foreign workers into the US for temporary or seasonal employment under the federal H-2A and H-2B programs, as long as they meet certain requirements. Approval from several government organizations is required, and there are some criteria that require approval from us.

Foreign Labor Certification

The Department of Labor (DOL) Office Foreign Labor Certification allows businesses to apply to the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) for certification to hire foreign workers.

If an employer has or anticipates a shortage of domestic workers, they can use one of the following labor certification programs:

  • H-2A: Temporary or seasonal agricultural workers
  • H-2B: Temporary non-agricultural workers

We help the DOL administer these programs in California.

For More Information

Contact the EDD

For additional information about the H-2A or H-2B programs, contact us:

Find Jobs and Training for You

Access Employment Services

America’s Job Center of CaliforniaSM (AJCC) connects employers with job openings and qualified job seekers together at no cost.


CalJOBS is the State of California’s online job search system. Create an account, log in and find a variety of online services offered for both employers and job seekers.

Additional Resources

Can’t find what you are looking for? View these resources for more information.