Partial Claims

Partial claims are for workers whose employers want to keep them employed when there is a lack of work.

The employer certifies that the employee is expected to return to work and gives them a form. The employee uses the form to file an Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim.


If you are an employee who used the Notice of Reduced Earnings (DE 2063) (PDF) or Notice of Reduced Earnings (Fisherperson) (DE 2063F) (PDF) to file for UI benefits, you are not required to look for a new job because your employer has certified that there will be a job for you shortly. You are considered partially unemployed.

How to File a Claim

You should have the following items prepared to file a claim for partial UI benefits:

  • Full Name
  • Social Security number
  • Mailing address
  • Home address (if different than mailing address)
  • Phone number
  • Most recent employer information
    • Company name
    • Address (mailing and physical location)
    • Phone number
  • All employer information from the 18 months before you filed your claim
    • Names of employers
    • Period of employment
    • Wages earned
    • Method of payment
  • Driver’s license or ID card number, if you have one
  • Most recent date worked and the reason you are no longer working
  • Citizenship status (which can include an alien registration number)

If we need to verify the information you provide, we will mail you additional information or request more documentation.


To participate in the partial claims program, download the Notice of Reduced Earnings (DE 2063) (PDF) or Notice of Reduced Earnings (Fisherperson) (DE 2063F) (PDF) and issue to your employee. You may also order the form by visiting Online Forms and Publications. For questions, Contact the EDD.