Independent Contractor Reporting

Businesses and government entities (defined as a "service-recipient") are required to report specific information to the Employment Development Department (EDD) on independent contractors (defined as a "service-provider"). The information provided is used to locate parents who are delinquent in their child support obligations.

You are required to report independent contractor information if you pay compensation or enter into a contract with an independent contractor and the following statements all apply:

  • You are required to file a federal Nonemployee Compensation (Form 1099-NEC) or a Miscellaneous Information (Form 1099-MISC) for the services performed by the independent contractor.
  • You pay the independent contractor $600 or more, or enter into a contract for $600 or more.
  • The independent contractor is an individual/sole proprietor or single-member LLC.

You must report independent contractor information to the EDD within 20 days of the scenario which occurs first: making payments totaling $600 or more or entering into a contract for $600 or more, or with an independent contractor in any calendar year. Businesses that transmit electronically must submit 2 monthly reports that are not less than 12 days and not more than 16 days apart. Independent contractors should only be reported once per calendar year for any new or ongoing contracts. No report should be submitted if there are no independent contractors to report.

You are required to provide the following information:

Service-recipient (business or government entity):

  • Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)
  • California employer payroll tax account number (if applicable)
  • Business or government entity name, address, and phone number
  • Social Security number (SSN) (if no FEIN or California employer payroll tax account number)

Service-provider (independent contractor):

  • First name, middle initial, and last name
  • Social Security number
  • Address
  • Start date of contract (if no contract, date payments equal $600 or more)
  • Amount of contract, including cents (if applicable)
  • Contract expiration date (if applicable)
  • Ongoing contract (check box if applicable)

Online with e-Services for Business

Mail or Fax

Submit a paper Report of Independent Contractor(s) (DE 542) using one of the following options:

Mail your paper DE 542 to:

Employment Development Department
PO Box 997350, MIC 96
Sacramento, CA 95899-7350

Fax your paper DE 542 to 1-916-319-4410.

A service-recipient may be charged a penalty of $24 for each failure to report within the required time frames, unless the failure is due to good cause. If the failure to report is intentional or if the report is falsified, a penalty of $490 may be charged.

e-Services for Business

Use e-Services for Business to manage your employer payroll tax account online.

Contact Us

If you have questions, Contact Payroll Taxes. You can also contact the Taxpayer Assistance Center at 1-888-745-3886 or visit your local Employment Tax Office.