Options to File for Disability Insurance Benefits
Disability Insurance (DI) provides short-term, partial wage replacement benefits to eligible workers who have a loss of wages when they are unable to work due to a non-work-related illness, injury, or pregnancy.
If you think you are eligible to file a claim, review each claim type and choose the right one for you.
File through SDI Online
The fastest and easiest way to file a DI claim is online through SDI Online.
SDI Online Benefits
- File online to reduce your claim processing time.
- Access your information 24 hours a day.
- View your DI claim status.
- Check for messages from the EDD.
- View and submit available forms to continue your claim.
- View forms you submitted and their receipt numbers.
- View your payment history.
- View your benefit details.
- Send messages and questions about your claim.
- Manage or update your personal information.
- Address (residence and/or mailing)
- Communication method (email, US mail)
- Language preference
- Phone number
- Feel confident with online security safeguards.
You must submit a completed Claim for Disability Insurance (DI) Benefits (DE 2501) form to file a DI claim by mail.
Follow these instructions to File a Disability Claim by Mail.
Register for Benefit Programs Online
Creating an account is an important step in this process. With Benefit Programs Online, you can apply for Disability Insurance and manage your claim in SDI Online.
Find DI Information for You
Can’t find what you are looking for? View these resources for more information.