Disability Insurance Certifications and Continued Medical FAQs

There is no law that prevents a licensed health professional from charging you to complete a Disability Insurance form.

Yes. A nurse practitioner or physician assistant can certify for all medical conditions within their scope of practice. However, to certify to a disability other than normal pregnancy and childbirth, the nurse practitioner or physician assistant must perform a physical examination and collaborate with a physician and/or surgeon.

If your claim is on automatic payment, after 10 weeks of payment, you will receive a Disability Claim Continued Eligibility Questionnaire (DE 2593). Return the form to the EDD either by mail or through your SDI Online account to certify that your disability continues. If you do not return the DE 2593 within 20 days after receiving the form, your benefits will stop. If this form is submitted late, you may lose benefits.

For more information, visit Disability Insurance – Stop or Continue Your Benefits.

If your claim is not on automatic payment, you will receive a Claim for Continued Disability Benefits (DE 2500A), also called a “continued claim certification,” every two weeks. By signing and dating the form, you certify that during the dates shown on the DE 2500A your disability continues and you have not recovered and/or returned to work. This is your request to continue your disability benefits.

If you do not return the DE 2500A to the EDD using your SDI Online account or by mail within 20 days after receiving the form, your benefits will stop. If this form is submitted late, you may lose benefits.

For more information, visit Disability Insurance – Stop or Continue Your Benefits.

To continue your benefits or if you recovered or returned to work part or full time:

  • Mark the appropriate boxes and provide the correct date in Section 1.
  • Provide wage or workers’ compensation information in Section 2.
  • Complete Section 3 if your address or telephone number have changed.
  • Sign and date Section 4.

Return the form within 20 days of the ending date shown on the form or 20 days after you receive the form if the ending date has passed or you may lose benefits. Do not return the form before the ending date or you may not receive the correct benefit payment.

No. Return the DE 2500A on the date indicated after the end date, unless you have recovered from your disability or returned to work before that date. You can be paid only for the days up to the postmark date or the day before the signature date, whichever is earlier.

Remember, if you have recovered, returned to work, or are receiving money from any source, you must tell the EDD by filling in the appropriate areas on the continued claim certification form.

Normally, benefit payments are issued within 10 days after we receive a completed continued claim certification.

 The EDD can issue benefits only up until the date your licensed health professional confirms your disability.

In the same envelope as your Electronic Benefit Payment (EBP) Notification (DE 2500E), you should also receive the Physician/Practitioner’s Supplementary Certificate (DE 2525XX). You may also receive these forms through your SDI Online account inbox.

If your disability will continue beyond the original medical recovery date on your claim, have your license health professional complete and submit the DE 2525XX and send it to the address shown on the form. If your licensed health professional has an SDI Online account, they may search for this form using your last name and Claim ID number or last four digits of your Social Security number, date of birth, and last name to submit online. If you did not receive the DE 2525XX, contact the EDD by calling 1-800-480-3287 for further information.

Note: It may be necessary to send some documents via U.S. mail even if you selected electronic communication as your preference.

If you feel you cannot return to work performing your regular or customary job duties, you should discuss it with your licensed health professional. You may also seek the opinion of another licensed health professional. If the new licensed health professional medically determines that you are not recovered from your disability, they can certify to extending your disability medical claim. Your licensed health professional can complete the DE 2525XX using SDI Online or the paper form. If you lost or misplaced your DE 2525XX, you may contact the EDD to get another DE 2525XX sent to you for them to complete.

Register for myEDD

Creating an account is an important step in this process. With myEDD, you can apply for Disability Insurance and manage your claim in SDI Online.

Additional Resources

Can’t find what you are looking for? View these DI and PFL resources for more information.