Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19)
Getting Started: Unemployment Benefits
Learn what benefits are available, how to apply, and what to expect after you’ve used all of your benefits or your claim has expired.
The EDD provides a variety of support services to people who have lost their jobs, had their hours reduced, or had their businesses affected due to the impacts of COVID-19 in California. For faster and more convenient access to those services, we encourage the use of our online options.
For the latest Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim data available, visit the Newsroom.
If you already filed for UI, refer to our step-by-step instructions for what to expect through the course of your claim.
- California is now participating in the Lost Wages Assistance program. This will provide an additional $300 per week for people who receive at least $100 per week in unemployment benefits. If you qualify, payments are for weeks of unemployment dating back to July 26, even if you are paid later.
- If you are getting a phone call from the EDD, your caller ID may show “St of CA EDD” or the UI call center numbers 1-833-978-2511 or 1-800-300-5616.
- The federal CARES Act has added these provisions to expand unemployment benefits so we can help more Californians impacted by COVID-19:
- Pandemic Unemployment Assistance – New program to provide unemployment benefits for people who don’t usually qualify for regular Unemployment Insurance.
- Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation – A 13-week benefit extension for people who have used all benefits available in their regular Unemployment Insurance claim.
- Pandemic Additional Compensation – An additional $600 federal stimulus payment automatically added to each week of benefits received between March 29 and July 25, 2020. Any unemployment benefits through July 25 will still be eligible for the extra $600, even if you are paid later.
- If you use all your Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation benefits, you may qualify for a FED-ED extension.
Get answers to specific questions you may have about COVID-19 and what programs and benefits may be available to you.Visit COVID-19 FAQs
Find the resources you need to file for unemployment, disability, or Paid Family Leave benefits and how to get back to work quickly.Access Worker Resources
Learn how you can manage the impact of COVID-19 on your business and affected workers.Access Employer Resources
If you need general or technical support, or to get help with your UI claim, visit Contact Us.
- Labor and Workforce Development Agency – Resources for employers and workers including workers’ compensation and paid sick leave.
- Labor Commissioner’s Office FAQs – Employee leave options, compensation, and salary.
- Department of Fair Employment and Housing – Job protection and employment discrimination.
- OnwardCA – One-stop resource for Californians impacted by job loss during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Essential Needs – Includes food, health, housing, and other assistance.
- California Public Utilities Commission – Learn what utility assistance programs are available.
- Covered California – Resources to get information and apply for low- or no-cost health insurance.
- California Department of Public Health
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- World Health Organization