Veterans Day 2019
On this Veterans Day, we recognize and honor all veterans for their service and significance to our country. A veteran’s service goes beyond the uniform; they strengthen the communities around us. The EDD is dedicated to providing employment services that help veterans transition from military service to California’s workforce, and we’re proud to have many veterans as valuable staff members, including some focused on helping their military brothers and sisters. We understand and promote the value and impact veterans bring to the workplace each day.
Jobs for All Who Served
As a top three recruiting target for companies nationwide, we recognize the skills and expertise of California’s veteran workforce, and we strongly encourage more employers to join us in hiring them.
To learn more about the projected number of job openings and employment opportunities for veterans leaving military service, review the top 10 occupational groups employing veterans in California (PNG).
Veterans Success Stories
Learn how veterans actively participate in California’s workforce:
Did You Know?
- The US Census Bureau estimates that there were 19 million military veterans in the United States in 2019 and 1.6 million of them resided in the Golden State.
- Between August 2017 and August 2019, California’s unemployment rate for veterans decreased from 5.8 to 3.2 percent—a drop of 2.6 percentage points over the past two years.
- The US Department of Veterans Affairs estimates that nearly 200,000 US service members transition from the military back into their civilian communities each year, a process known as the military to civilian transition.
For current information on California’s veterans in the workforce, review the 2019 Veterans Day Workforce Report (PDF, 2.26 MB).
Veteran Employment Resources
We offer valuable resources to help you find a job. These services include:
- A 24-hour priority hold on all job listings just for veterans
- Customized job search assistance
- Job fairs and workshops
- Other networking and employment events
To learn more about these resources and services, visit Services for Veterans.
We offer employers a variety of tools and services to help you hire qualified veterans. These resources include:
America’s Job Center of CaliforniaSM
Find qualified veterans for your job openings, and receive free candidate screenings and placement services at your local job center. To find a job center near you, visit our Office Locator.
CalJOBS connects you with qualified veteran candidates. To begin your search, follow these steps:
- Register or log in to CalJOBS to post a company position.
- Select Find a Candidate.
- Under the Ranking Criteria menu, select Veteran, then select Yes.
- Finish entering your criteria, then select Search.
Job Fairs and WorkshopsVisit Job Fairs and Workshops to find an event that serves veterans.
Note: Look for the American flag next to the event name.
- Veterans Day News Release (PDF): Learn how the EDD is promoting statewide assistance for veterans, and helping connect them with employers.
- Veterans Job Matcher: Match your military skills and experience to a civilian occupation of your interest.
- California Veterans Resource Book (PDF): An all-inclusive resource guide to help you access services and benefits for you and your family.