Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19)
Learn what benefits are available, how to apply, and what to expect after applying.COVID-19 Unemployment Benefits Guide
California is responding to the spread of a respiratory illness caused by a new coronavirus (COVID-19). While investigations to learn more about the virus are ongoing, workers and employers should review their health and safety procedures to help prevent exposure to the virus.
The EDD provides a variety of support services to people who have lost their jobs, had their hours reduced, or had their businesses affected due to the impacts of COVID-19 in California. For faster and more convenient access to those services, we encourage the use of our online options.
For an overview of COVID-19 benefit programs and tips for navigating our website, view Assistance Programs for Workers during COVID-19 (YouTube).
If you already filed for UI, refer to our step-by-step chart for what to expect through the course of your claim for receiving benefit payments as long as you’re eligible.
We have reviewed the federal CARES Act and are pleased to report that on Sunday, for the week ending April 11, the EDD will begin issuing the new $600 additional unemployment benefit payments funded by the federal government. Visit the Latest News for Workers for the details.
- In addition, the EDD has launched a new Pandemic Unemployment Assistance page to keep you informed of eligibility requirements and the around-the-clock effort to build this new program from the CARES Act. This complex program to serve those who don’t usually qualify for regular Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits, including businesses and the self-employed, has to be developed and could rival the size of the current UI program EDD administers for unemployed workers.
- The EDD will also keep you posted on the CARES Act provision establishing a new 13-week extension of benefits paid for by the federal government when someone exhausts their regular state UI claim between March 29, 2020 and the end of 2020. This too also requires an extensive effort to implement these new extended benefits.
You can receive your benefit payments on an EDD Debit Card. For information on delivery, card activation, replacing a lost or stolen card, and more, visit EDD Debit Card.
Get answers to specific questions you may have about COVID-19 and what programs and benefits may be available to you.Visit COVID-19 FAQs
Find the resources you need to file for unemployment, disability, or Paid Family Leave benefits and how to get back to work quickly.Access Worker Resources
Learn how you can manage the impact of COVID-19 on your business and affected workers.Access Employer Resources
If you need general or technical support, or to get help with your UI claim, visit Contact Us.
- Labor and Workforce Development Agency – Resources for employers and workers including workers’ compensation and paid sick leave.
- Labor Commissioner’s Office FAQs – Employee leave options, compensation, and salary.
- Department of Fair Employment and Housing – Job protection and employment discrimination.
- OnwardCA – One-stop resource for Californians impacted by job loss during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- California Public Utilities Commission – Learn what utility assistance programs are available.
- Covered California – Resources to get information and apply for low- or no-cost health insurance.
- California Department of Public Health
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- World Health Organization