East Bay Region
The East Bay region is comprised of Alameda and Contra Costa counties.
Top Job Openings 2018-2028*
- General and Operations Managers:
- 18,610 projected job openings, $129,529 average annual wage, 841 job advertisements.
- Registered Nurses:
- 16,650 projected job openings, $162,521 average annual wage, 2,990 job advertisements.
- Software Developers, Applications:
- 11,760 projected job openings, $155,389 average annual wage, 2,385 job advertisements.
- Accountants and Auditors:
- 11,120 projected job openings, $100,600 average annual wage, 401 job advertisements.
- Substitute Teachers:
- 10,750 projected job openings, $45,097 average annual wage, 0 job advertisements.
- Teacher Assistants:
- 16,060 projected job openings, $45,684 average annual wage, 219 job advertisements.
- Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks:
- 13,620 projected job openings, $59,034 average annual wage, 289 job advertisements.
- Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers:
- 10,780 projected job openings, $62,954 average annual wage, 1,462 job advertisements.
- Medical Assistants:
- 10,230 projected job openings, $60,061 average annual wage, 422 job advertisements.
- Nursing Assistants:
- 9,200 projected job openings, $47,292 average annual wage, 383 job advertisements.
- Personal Care Aides**:
- 76,650 projected job openings, $38,522 average annual wage, 718 job advertisements.
- 52,190 projected job openings, $36,878 average annual wage, 354 job advertisements.
- Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food***:
- 51,720 projected job openings, $40,269 average annual wage, 665 job advertisements.
- Retail Salespersons:
- 40,170 projected job openings, $37,419 average annual wage, 1,912 job advertisements.
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand:
- 38,010 projected job openings, $45,240 average annual wage, 991 job advertisements.
*The 2018-2028 employment projections do not include impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic and response efforts. Employment projections are developed using models based on historical data, which in this set of projections cover the period through 2018; all input data therefore precede the pandemic. Employment projections are long-term projections intended to capture structural change in the economy, not cyclical fluctuations. As such, they are not intended to capture the impacts of the recession that began in February 2020. However, besides the immediate recessionary impacts, the pandemic may cause new structural changes to the economy. Subsequent employment projections will incorporate new information on economic structural changes as it becomes available.
**Wages for Personal Care Aides are taken from the Home Health and Personal Care Aides occupation.
***Wages for Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food are taken from the Food Preparation Workers occupation.