Paid Family Leave – Continue or Stop Your Benefits

If eligible, you may receive up to eight weeks of Paid Family Leave (PFL) benefits. You will continue to receive benefits during your PFL period, however, there are times when you may need to notify us to stop or continue your benefits.

Continue Your Benefits

Certify to Continue Benefits

If you reported that you worked or will work during your PFL period, you will receive the Continued Claim Certification for Paid Family Leave Benefits (DE 2580GF). You must complete this form to certify for the days you have worked during your PFL period. Your benefits will stop if you do not return the DE 2580GF to us in the mail.

Certify to Extend your PFL Period

For PFL care claims: a Notice of Final Payment (DE 2525XF) will be issued with your final payment when your PFL claim indicates that you are now ready to return to work. We will also send you a Paid Family Leave (PFL) Supplemental Claim Certification (DE 2525XFA) with the Notice of Final Payment (DE 2525XF). If you still have benefits available and need to continue providing care for a family member, select the box that applies to your claim on the PFL Claimant’s Certification section of the DE 2525XFA and have the care recipient’s Licensed Health Professional complete the Physician’s Supplementary Certificate section of the DE 2525XFA. Once completed, return this form to EDD.

If you misplaced the DE 2525XFA, request the form using AskEDD or by calling 1-877-238-4373.

For PFL bonding claims: if you wish to extend your bonding claim, submit a Request to Re-establish a Bonding Claim for Paid Family Leave (DE 2504RE) or a new Claim for Paid Family Leave (PFL) Benefits (DE 2501F). If you have not returned to work or had a break in certification from your current bonding period, you may also extend your claim through a verbal certification by calling 1-877-238-4373.

Important: If you use less that the full eight weeks of benefits for care, bonding, or military assist, and return to work full time then want to restart your claim a few weeks or months later to use your remaining weeks, you must file a brand new claim using the Claim for Paid Family Leave (PFL) Benefits (DE 2501F).

Stop Your Benefits

You must notify the EDD to stop your benefits if any of the following happen during your PFL period:

  • You return to part-time or full-time work.
  • The care recipient recovers from their illness or injury.
  • The death of a care or bonding recipient.

Receiving Automatic Payments

If you receive automatic payments and need to stop your benefits, fill out and return the Notice of Change in Claimant Status on the Notice of Automatic Payment – PFL (DE 2587F). You can also notify us by:

  • Using AskEDD
  • US Mail
  • Calling 1-877-238-4373

Failing to notify us can result in an overpayment, which you must repay. Learn more about overpayments by visiting Benefit Overpayment Services.

Not Receiving Automatic Payments

  • Care or bonding recipient’s full name
  • Date of death
  • Your name
  • Your address
  • Your phone number

Benefits are payable through the date of death, if otherwise eligible.