California Training Benefits (CTB)
California Training Benefits (CTB) allows eligible Unemployment Insurance (UI) customers to further their education, upgrade their skills, and/or learn a new trade to be more competitive in today’s labor market while receiving UI benefits.
If approved for CTB, you will be exempt from the requirements to be available for work, actively seek work, and accept work, while you complete your training. You may also be eligible for additional weeks of benefits while completing training or school.
Note: The EDD does not cover any educational or training-related expenses such as tuition, fees, books, supplies, or transportation. However, there are state, federal, or employer programs that may fund your school or training.
Reasons to Participate in CTB:
- Enhance knowledge and skills.
- Develop skills for a new career path.
- Training Extension (TE) – may receive additional weeks of UI benefits while in training.
- Important Information about CTB
- Learn About California Training Benefits Video (Coming Soon)
Eligible Training Categories
Learn about the different ways to be eligible for CTB.
- Government Organized Trainings
- Union, Trade Association, or Employer Organized Trainings
- Self-Arranged Training
Training Extension Benefits
Learn about the training extension and how to qualify.
Attend School or Training While Collecting UI Benefits
- How to Report School or Training while on CTB
- Tips on how to Complete the Continued Claim Certification Questions
CTB Resources and Forms
- CTB FAQs
- California Training Benefits Program Information and Application (Sample) (DE 3100T)
- Notice of Request for School or Training Information (Sample) (DE4365T)