Looking for a Summer Job?
Most people go down this road: School is winding down for the year, and whether it was to have some spending money for the summer or upcoming school expenses, money to buy that first car or to help out your family, a summer job is often the first step into the world of work.
If you’re looking for a summer job, the Employment Development Department (EDD), in partnership with your local America’s Job Center of CaliforniaSM, can help you get started.
If you’re an employer looking for summer help and interested in hiring youth, visit Hire Youth.
Do you have a professional résumé? Do you know what proper interview etiquette is? Do you know how to dress for success? Do you know how to search for a job?
Most people with limited or no work experience probably need some help in those areas. But don’t worry. The EDD offers workshops that can help you answer these questions and give you the tools you need. Check out the Job Fairs and Workshops page for upcoming workshops near you, as well information on upcoming job fairs if you feel you’re ready to get out there and meet employers.
You can also visit your local America’s Job Center of California for more information to help you land that summer job. Most job centers also have computers available for you to use, and there is never a charge for any service.
CalJOBSSM is California’s virtual job center with access to thousands of job listings. With CalJOBS, you can:
- Develop and post your résumé.
- Find employment and training resources.
- Create cover letters.
- Set up job alerts with the virtual recruiter. In other words, CalJOBS will look for jobs for you.
You can also visit the EDD’s Labor Market Information for Job Seekers and Students page. The EDD’s Labor Market Information Division provides data and links to resources to help job seekers. On this page, you will find Occupational Guides and Occupation Profiles, training and apprenticeship information, and more tools designed to help you land a job.
Other online resources:
- Services For Youth – Available services provided to young job seekers.
- California CareerZone – A career exploration and planning system designed for students.
- My Next Move – An interactive tool for job seekers and students to learn more about their career options.
The EDD and partner agencies team up to provide no-cost employment services to eligible youth involving:
- Referrals to summer, temporary, and long-term jobs.
- Referrals to job fairs, employer recruitment events, and supportive services.
- Occupational skills training.
- Preparation to be job-ready.
- Career development and exploration.
- Hands-on and one-on-one assistance with résumé, job applications, and interviewing skills.
- Paid and unpaid work experience such as internships and apprenticeships.
Let us help you with your summer job. Visit your local America’s Job Center of California.
- Hiring events
- Job fairs
- Training opportunities
Download the CalJOBS mobile app in Apple iTunes or Google Play stores to:
- Search for jobs by keyword, area, or job occupation.
- Use the “Jobs Nearby” function to map jobs near their current location.
- Apply for jobs.
- Receive notifications when jobs become available.
- Share favorite jobs via email and social media.
- Quickly return to previous searches, favorite jobs, and recently viewed jobs.
Follow the path to summer youth employment with these tips.
If you are under the age of 18, don’t forget to obtain a work permit. Find out more about California Work Permits for Students here.
Friday, June 30, 2017 from 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Youth Employment Opportunity Program Orientation
America’s Job Center of CaliforniaSM – Oxnard
Employment Development Department
2901 N. Ventura Road, Third Floor
Oxnard, CA 93036
Contact: Jesse Estrella, YEOP Specialist, 805-288-3749