FAQ - Paid Family Leave Benefits

En español

Paid Family Leave (PFL) provides up to eight weeks of partial pay to employees who take time off from work to care for a seriously ill family member (child, parent, parent-in-law, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or registered domestic partner) or to bond with a new child entering the family through birth, adoption, or foster care placement.

Benefit amounts range from $50 to $1,300 per week and represent approximately 60 to 70 percent (depending on income) of wages earned 5 to 18 months prior to your claim start date. Visit the Calculating Paid Family Leave Benefit Payment Amounts page or try the Weekly Benefit Amount Calculator tool to estimate your benefit amount.

Yes. You have the option to choose either an EDD debit card issued by Bank of America or a check when you file your claim.

You may receive Paid Family Leave (PFL) benefits for up to 8 weeks within any 12 month period for care or bonding, and this time does not have to be taken all at once. If you’re a parent taking time off to bond with a child, you may only receive PFL benefits during the first year after your child’s birth, adoption, or foster care placement.

Paid Family Leave is funded by mandatory payroll deductions from covered workers, meaning that your previous paychecks have helped pay for your own benefits and the benefits of millions of other eligible Californians.

You can apply for Paid Family Leave by completing the Claim for Paid Family Leave (PFL) Benefits (DE 2501F) form online or by mail. For bonding claims, your application must include documentation showing the relationship between you and your new child (e.g., a copy of the child’s birth certificate or record, adoptive placement agreement, or foster care placement record). For caregiving claims, your application must also include a medical certification from your family member’s physician/practitioner and the care recipient’s or their authorized recipient’s signature.

To apply online, you must first complete a one-time registration using Benefit Programs Online (BPO) to establish an online account. Visit the BPO login page and select Register to get started creating an account now.

BPO registration is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

After you have registered for and logged in to BPO, select SDI Online which will direct you to the SDI Online Registration Options. Once your registration is complete, log in to BPO and select SDI Online to be directed to your Home page to file your claim.

Note: It may be necessary to send some documents via U.S. mail.

To apply by mail, visit an SDI Office or request the paper form from a physician/practitioner or your employer. You may also request that a hard copy version of the form be mailed to you by calling 1-877-238-4373 or visiting the Online Forms and Publications page to order a form online.

To apply for Paid Family Leave (PFL), you will need to download and print the claim form Solicitud de Beneficios del Programa de Permiso Familiar Pagado (PFL) (DE 2501F/S). Visit Paid Family Leave - Forms and Publications to print the form. Complete and sign all parts before sending it to the EDD.

No. Paid Family Leave only provides monetary benefits; however, your job may be protected through other laws, such as the federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) or the California Family Rights Act (CFRA). For more information, visit The Family and Medical Leave Act and the California Family Rights Act FAQs page.

Your claim will be processed approximately 14 business days after the EDD receives your properly completed application.

All Paid Family Leave (PFL) claims must be completed and submitted no earlier than the first day your family leave begins, but no later than 41 days after your first day of leave. All PFL claims for bonding with a new child must be paid in full within one year of your child’s birth, adoption, or foster care placement. To avoid missing the one-year mark, you will want to file 6-7 weeks before the one-year anniversary of the child entering your family.

No. You may not receive Disability Insurance or Unemployment Insurance benefits for the same period in which Paid Family Leave (PFL) benefits are paid. For more information about coordinating PFL with sick leave, or other leave, visit the FAQs – Integration/Coordination of SDI Benefits page.

Yes, if your workers’ compensation weekly benefit amount is less than your weekly Paid Family Leave benefit amount, you may be eligible to receive the difference.

Yes. You will receive a 1099-G tax form in January of the following year you received benefits. For more information, visit the FAQs - Form 1099G page or contact the Internal Revenue Service.

For state taxes, Paid Family Leave benefit payments are not reportable by California pursuant to Revenue and Taxation Code Section 17083.

You must report:

  • If you have returned to part-time, intermittent, or full-time work.
  • If you have stopped providing care or bonding.
  • The date of death of the care or bonding recipient.
  • Wages received, such as: Adoption Pay, Back Pay, Bereavement Pay, Bonus Pay, Commissions, Disability Insurance benefits, Donated Sick Leave Credits, Earnings from Partial Return to Work, Employer-Required Vacation pay, Holiday Pay, In Home Support Services wages, In Lieu of Notice Pay, Kin Care, Military Pay, Paid Time Off, Plant Shut Down Pay, Residuals, Rerun Fees, Reuse Fees, Sick Leave Pay, Unemployment Insurance benefits, or Workers’ compensation benefits.

Reporting this information to the EDD ensures you receive the correct benefit amount and prevents an overpayment.

You may report wages or that you have returned to work on the Notice of Automatic Payment - PFL (DE 2587F) or Continued Claim Certification for Paid Family Leave Benefits (DE 2580GF). You may also send a letter by mail or call PFL at 1-877-238-4373.

If the person you are caring for or the child you are bonding with passes away, report the death to the Paid Family Leave office at 1-877-238-4373. You may also notify the EDD by writing to the PO Box address printed on the payment notice. Be sure to provide the Care or Bonding recipient’s name and date of death, and your name, address, and phone number so we can contact you with additional instructions. Benefits are payable through the date of death if otherwise eligible.

First, you must have received your billing notice. The Benefit Overpayment Statement of Amount Due (DE 8301R) form is a billing notice that is mailed to you each month. If you have not yet received or lost this notice Paid Family Leave (PFL), please contact the PFL office at 1-877-238-4373.

Visit Benefit Overpayments to make a payment. Options for payment are:

  • Online by Automated Clearing House (ACH) debit (no fee) or by credit card (fee applies).
  • By phone with a credit card through Official Payments Corporation (fee applies).
  • By mail using a personal check, cashier’s check, or money order (no fee).

For more information, view the Make a Payment on a Benefit Overpayment (YouTube)  tutorial.

If you misplaced a form the EDD mailed to you, you can obtain a new one by:

  • Calling 1-877-238-4373 (English) or 1-877-379-3819 (Spanish).
  • Visiting AskEDD.
    • Select the PFL category, then
      • ‘Miscellaneous Inquiry’ sub-category, then
        • ‘Other (Questions)’ for topic