FAQ - Benefit Payments, Certifications, and Continued Medical

Yes. You have the option to choose either an EDD debit card issued by Bank of America or a check when you file your claim.

Most SDI benefit payments are issued within two weeks after the Employment Development Department (EDD) receives a properly completed claim online or by mail. By filling in your application completely and verifying that all information is correct, you play a key role in ensuring your benefit payment is issued promptly.

If you choose to be paid with the EDD Debit Card, it is mailed to you when you certify for your first week and the payment is authorized by the EDD. The card is valid for three years and if you have a previously unexpired card from a prior UI, DI, or PFL claim, the benefit payments for the new claim will be placed on the previously issued card. Benefit payments issued to your EDD Debit Card account should be received in no more than five business days. If it has been over five days since the benefit payment was issued, contact the EDD.

If the benefit payment is the form of a check, please allow 10 days from the date the check was issued for postal delivery or return of a check.

If it has been over 10 days since the check was issued, contact the EDD. The EDD will investigate to determine if your check has already been cashed and, if it has, will mail you a copy of the check and endorsing signature. If the signature is yours, no further action will be required. If the endorsement is not yours, contact the EDD for further instructions.

Checks are negotiable for one year. If your check has “expired”, contact the EDD for benefit payment instructions.

Yes. A Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant can certify for all medical conditions within their scope of practice. However, to certify to a disability other than normal pregnancy and childbirth, the Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant must perform a physical examination and collaborate with a physician and/or surgeon.

The DE 2500A, commonly called a continued claim certification, is your request for continued disability benefits. By signing and dating the front of the form, you certify that during the dates shown on the continued claim certification you have not recovered from your disability. If you recovered or returned to work part-time or full-time, fill in the appropriate area on the front of the continued claim certification.

Note: It may be necessary to send some documents via U.S. mail.

No. Return the continued claim certification form on the date indicated after the “end” date, unless you have recovered from your disability or returned to work before that date. SDI can pay only for the days up to the postmark date or the signature date, whichever is earlier.

Remember, if you have recovered, returned to work, or are receiving money from any source, you must advise the EDD by filling in the appropriate areas on the continued claim certification form.

Normally, SDI benefit payments are issued within 10 days after we receive a completed continued claim certification.

No. Benefit payments are not issued from offices.

The EDD can issue benefits only up until the date your physician/practitioner confirms your disability. If your disability will continue beyond the original period established on your claim, have your physician/practitioner complete and submit the Physician/Practitioner’s Supplementary Certificate (DE 2525XX).

In the same envelope as your notice, you should also receive the DE 2525XX. You may also receive this notice through your “Inbox” if you have an SDI Online account. Ask your physician/practitioner to complete the DE 2525XX and send it to the address shown on the form. If your physician/practitioner has an SDI Online account, they may search for this form using your last name and Claim ID number or last four digits of your Social Security number, date of birth, and last name to submit online. If you did not receive the DE 2525XX, contact the EDD by calling 1-800-480-3287 for further information.

Note: It may be necessary to send some documents via U.S. mail.

If you feel you cannot return to work performing your regular or customary job duties, you should discuss your situation with your physician/practitioner. You may also seek the opinion of another physician/practitioner. If you do see another physician/practitioner, contact the EDD to get a DE 2525XX for them to complete.