Skip to Main Content
Employment Development Department
Employment Development Department

FAQs – Part-Time, Intermittent, or Reduced Work Schedule

Show All | Hide All

Yes. If you are losing wages, the Employment Development Department (EDD) suggests that you file a claim. After the EDD receives your properly completed claim, we will determine if you are otherwise eligible for DI benefits.

Yes. If you return to work part time and still lose wages, the EDD can pay benefits equal to your wage loss but not more than your weekly benefit rate. The EDD will look at what you earned on a weekly basis before your claim began, then subtract what you’re currently earning working part time. The difference between the two figures is your wage loss, or the amount of wages you are losing by working part time. If your wage loss is greater than your weekly benefit amount, you will receive benefits at your full DI rate. If the wage loss is less than your weekly rate, you’ll receive the amount of your wage loss only. For an example of this breakdown, see Part-time Worker.

Yes. You may receive benefits as long as you have at least $300 in gross wages in your base period, are losing wages, and meet other basic eligibility requirements.

Yes. Vacation benefits are not in conflict with DI.

You cannot receive DI benefits for any period for which you also receive sick leave wages that are equivalent to your full or regular salary. If you are receiving only partial sick leave wages, however, you may be eligible for full or partial DI benefits.

Yes, but depending on the type of paid leave and how much you receive, your DI benefits may be reduced. You should always report all the wages you receive from your employer on your claim form.

No. PTO payments are considered the same as sick leave wages. However, if you are receiving partial PTO and still lose wages, you may be eligible to receive full or partial DI benefits.

The EDD has no jurisdiction over issues involving wages, hours of work, or conditions of employment.

You may want to contact the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, who has responsibility over the above employment and disability issues, including termination during a disability.

No. Termination will not interfere with your DI benefits as long as you continue to meet the other eligibility requirements.

The EDD has no jurisdiction over issues involving the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA). This program, administered by the United States Department of Labor (DOL), provides temporary continuation of health benefits at group rates for certain former employees. For information you may contact the DOL at 1-866-275-7922, TTY 1-877-889-5627. In addition, you may wish to read or download the pamphlet about the COBRA program. You may need to download the free Adobe Reader to view and print linked documents.