Trade Dispute TD 120 - Fact Finding Guide
Nonunion employees - Initial Work Stoppage Actions
Honoring Picket Line by Nonunion Employees
Refer to Fact-finding Guide TD 60 (FF).
No Union Trade Dispute
- Ask claimant and employer to explain circumstances leading up to the walkout. Who was the spokesperson for the employees? His/her phone number?
- How many employees left work? Date? Time?
- Did they establish a picket line? Date? Time?
- Did the employees tell the employer they were leaving? If so, what was the employer’s response?
- Did the claimant attempt to return to work? If so, what was he/she told? Does work remain available to the employees who walked out?
- Has the claimant resigned? Was the claimant discharged for participating in a trade dispute?
- What was the claimant’s intent at the time of the walkout? Did he/she intend to return to work?
- Have the employees taken any further action since the walkout? Have they contacted a union for assistance? If so, what union? Date contacted? Has the union contacted the employer?