Ways to File or Reopen Your UI Claim
Unemployment Insurance Applications
The Employment Development Department (EDD) offers several methods for filing or reopening Unemployment Insurance (UI) claims.
File or Reopen Online (Recommended)
Advantages of eApply4UI
- Fastest way to file or reopen your claim.
- Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Helps reduce delays due to common errors made on paper applications.
- Secure and reliable.
- Confirmation number is provided.
For more information or to file for UI online: eApply4UI
File or Reopen by Phone
You can file or reopen a UI claim over the phone with an EDD customer service representative.
- English: 1-800-300-5616
- Spanish: 1-800-326-8937
- Chinese (Cantonese): 1-800-547-3506
- Chinese (Mandarin): 1-866-303-0706
- Vietnamese: 1-800-547-2058
Call the EDD between 8 a.m. and 12 noon, Pacific time, Monday through Friday. This service is not available on State holidays.
File or Reopen by Mail or Fax
You can file or reopen a UI claim by using our paper application available through eApply4UI. The application can be completed online and printed, or it can be printed and completed by hand. The application can then be faxed or mailed to the EDD for processing.
P.O. Box 12906
Oakland, CA 94604-2906
Note: Extra postage is required.
Fax Number: 1-866-215-9159
Ex-Servicemembers and Federal Employment
If you served in the Military during the last 18 months and/or if you worked for an agency of the Federal government during the last 18 months, you may be able to apply for Unemployment Insurance benefits by phone or by using our paper application available through eApply4UI. The paper application can be filled out online and printed, or printed and completed by hand. You can mail or fax your completed application to the EDD office listed on the application for processing.
This Google Translate™ translation service is provided for informational purposes only as the EDD is unable to guarantee the accuracy of this translation. View Disclaimer
- Apply for UI or Reopen a UI Claim
- Ways to Certify for UI Benefits
- Access UI Payment Information
- Forms and Publications
- More Help for the Unemployed
Top Links This Month
- EDD Web-CertSM
- Federal UI Extensions
- Ways to File
- UI Telephone Numbers
- Apply for UI Benefits Information
- Benefit Determination Guide