Skip to Main Content
Employment Development Department
Employment Development Department

Need More Information

What do I Need to do to File a UI Claim for UI Benefits?

First, you must decide how to file your claim. We offer the following claim filing options:

  1. Online: Use the online application, eApply4UI. This application allows you to type in your answers to questions and submit online. Note: This is the fastest way to file your claim.
  2. Telephone: Contact one of our call centers using a toll-free telephone number.
  3. Mail or Fax: Use our paper application, UI Application, DE 1101I. The application can be completed online and printed, or it can be printed and completed by hand. The application can then be faxed or mailed to an EDD office for processing.

Note: The above options may also be used to reactivate an existing claim or file for extended benefits.

Now What?
After you have decided on a claim filing option, be prepared to provide the information we need to file your claim. Some information will be about your recent employment and about you personally for identification and statistical purposes, such as date of birth and years of education.
If the Department needs to verify any of the identifying information you provide while filing a claim, you will receive additional forms by mail and will be asked to provide additional information and/or documentation.
Because your time is valuable and we want the claim filing process to go as quickly as possible, we have identified critical items you should have immediately available regardless of which option you select to file your claim.

Information we will need:

  1. Your name (including all names you used while working) and Social Security number (SSN).
  2. Your mailing and residence address (including ZIP code) and telephone number (including area code).
  3. Your state issued driver's license or ID card number, if you have either.
  4. The last date you worked for any employer. If you are working part-time be sure to tell us you are still working and give us the number of hours you are working each week.
  5. Last employer information, including: name, address (mailing and physical location), and telephone number. We will also need the ZIP code for both addresses (mailing and physical location), the area code for your last employer's telephone number, and the last day worked.

    Be specific about the spelling of the employer's name and make sure the address is correct because we are required to mail a notice to that employer. An incorrect address will delay benefit payments.

  6. Information on all employers you worked for during the 18 months prior to filing your claim, including: name, period of employment, wages earned and how you were paid.
  7. The name of the employer you worked for the longest within the last year and a half; and the number of years you worked for that employer. This may or may not be the same as your last employer.
  8. The reason you are no longer working for your last employer. You may have quit, been laid off, fired, or left work because of a trade dispute. Be specific about the reason you are not working because the information you give to us must be sent to your last employer. If you quit, were fired, or left work because of a trade dispute, you will be scheduled to a future telephone interview. The information we obtain during the interview will help us decide if you are eligible to receive benefits.
  9. Whether you are receiving, or expect to receive any payments from a former employer. We ask about this because some types of payments may be deducted from your benefits. A few examples of payments that may be deducted include wages, pension payments, holiday pay, and vacation or sick pay.
  10. Whether you are able to work and available to accept work.
  11. Whether you have the legal right to work in the United States. Individuals who indicate they are registered with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS, formerly INS) and authorized to work in the United States will be asked for the title of their employment authorization document and information from the USCIS document, such as the alien identification number, card number, or expiration date. A comprehensive list of acceptable identity and authorization to work documents is available through United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

For more information on the UI claim filing process, review the following Web pages: