Registering for the UI Self-Service Phone Line
1. Gather The Required Information.
To access two of the services available through the Unemployment Insurance (UI) Self-Service Phone Line, you must have a UI claim and establish a four-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN).
All users must provide the following information when establishing a PIN:
- Social Security Number.
- Weekly Benefit Amount.
Weekly Benefit Amount (WBA): This amount is found on the Notice of Unemployment Insurance Award (DE 429Z) that was mailed to you when you filed your claim. If you do not have this letter, you can request a duplicate online at Ask EDD: Select the category “Unemployment Insurance Benefits,” sub-category “Claim Form,” and topic “Need Replacement Claim Form.” Mention that you need a copy of your award letter.
2. Create a Personal Identification Number (PIN).
The automated phone system requires a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to access confidential information and to submit certifications by phone. When you select one of the following menu options for the first time, you will be required to create a four-digit PIN. You may select any four numeric digits for your PIN but no special characters such as the star (*) or pound (#) keys.
3. Use the UI Self-Service Phone Line.
Call the UI Self-Service Phone Line: 1-866-333-4606
Make the following selections from the recorded messages:
Language Preference (choice):
Press 1 to hear this recording in English.
Press 1 for information on the last payment made on your claim or EDD Debit CardSM information.
Press 2 to certify for weekly or bi-weekly continued claims by phone using EDD Tele-CertSM
When selecting payment information or EDD Debit CardSM information option,
Press 1 to receive the information on the last payment on your claim.
Press 1 if you already have a PIN.
Press 2 if you do not have a PIN or have forgotten your PIN.
Press 3 if you want to change your PIN.
Listen carefully and follow the instructions for establishing your PIN.
Establishing your PIN
- Enter your nine-digit Social Security number.
- Enter your weekly benefit amount. This is the amount you would receive before deductions if you were paid unemployment insurance benefits for only one week. Enter only the dollar portion.
Example: For $230, enter 230
- Enter a new 4-digit PIN. Choose a number you will remember.
- If you chose the payment information option, you will hear the date your last payment was issued, the amount of the payment, and the period ending date that the payment covered. Allow 10 days to receive your benefits. It is not necessary to call more than once a day. UI benefit payment information is updated daily, and reflects the claim activity which occurred on the previous business day. Payment information is current as of 6:00 a.m. Pacific Time.
- If you chose the EDD Tele-CertSM option, the first available week will present.
Always keep your Social Security number and PIN private and secure. Do not share your PIN with anyone to prevent fraud from occurring on your claim.