Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)
- Implementation Plan
- Implementation Guidance - State of California
- Implementation Guidance – Federal
- Other Resources
President Barack Obama signed the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) into law on July 22, 2014. The WIOA supersedes the Workforce Investment Act of 1998 (WIA) and amends the Wagner-Peyser Act, the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act, and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
As with the preceding WIA, the WIOA helps job seekers succeed in the labor market by providing access to employment, education, training, and support services while matching employers with the skilled workers they need to compete in the global economy. In addition, the enactment of WIOA provides a new opportunity to ensure that America’s Job Center of CaliforniaSM (AJCC) locations remain effective and job-driven—responding to the needs of employers and preparing workers for jobs, now and in the future.
WIOA Implementation Plan
The WIOA Draft Implementation Plan includes the estimated implementation timeline, which is used by the Department of Labor and California. The timeline will be updated as planning continues and more information becomes available. California specific dates are listed in the WIOA Draft Implementation Plan.
WIOA Implementation Guidance – State of California
- Workforce Services Information Notice (WSIN) 15-3
WIA to WIOA Transition Guidance
- Workforce Services Information Notice (WSIN) 14-53
WIOA Formula Allocations—PY 2015-16
- Workforce Services Information Notice (WSIN) 14-52
Funding Limits and Reporting for WIOA Transitional Activities
- Workforce Services Information Notice (WSIN) 14-37
Webinar – Implementing Effective Work Experience Models for Youth
- Workforce Services Information Notice (WSIN) 14-31
Webinar - WIOA Vision and System Update.
- WSD 14-10 - Initial Local Area Designation and Local Board Certification
The policy and procedures for current local areas interested in receiving designation and local board certification under the new WIOA.
Frequently Asked Questions
- View the WIOA Frequently Asked Questions.
WIOA Implementation Guidance - Federal
- “WIOA 101”
This 13-part webcast series from Workforce GPS describes the basics of the WIOA for those new to the Act. It offers a menu of short webcasts to enable users to view the modules separately.
- WIOA Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
WIOA FAQs from the Department of Labor
- U.S. Department of Labor WIOA Resource Page
This provides information and resources to assist with implementation of the Act.
- Training and Employment Notice (TEN) 05-14
The U.S. Department of Labor provides initial WIOA implementation guidance.
- Training and Employment Guidance Letter (TEGL)12-14
Allowable Uses and Funding Limits of Workforce Investment Act (WIA) Program Year (PY) 2014 funds for Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) Transitional Activities
- National Association of State Workforce Agencies WIA/WIOA Side-by-Side
A comprehensive comparison of the statutory language by each section between WIA and WIOA, highlighting changes and differences between the two laws.
- National Skills Coalition WIA/WIOA-Side-by-Side
A comparison of the Occupational Training and Adult Education & Family Literacy provisions of the WIA and WIOA.
- U.S. Department of Education WIOA Overview
An overview and key highlights of the new law from Cheryl Keenan, Director of the U.S. Department of Education, Division of Adult Education and Literacy.
- LEAD WIOA Policy Brief
The National Center on Leadership for the Employment and Economic Advancement of People with Disabilities (LEAD) provides a disability perspective on the new law.
- U.S.House of Representatives Summary of WIOA
A one-page high level overview of the law.
- U.S. House of Representatives Summary of Key Improvements
A summary of changes WIOA makes to current workforce development programs.
- U.S. House of Representatives & U.S. Senate Statement of Managers
A statement of congressional intent behind the law and a section-by-section summary.