Tip of the Week Archive
- Week of March 3, 2014
Employers: Report Newly Hired and Rehired Employees within 20 days of their Start-of-Work Date
An employer is required to report information on newly hired or rehired employees who work in California to the EDD’s New Employee Registry (NER) by filing a Report of New Employee(s) (DE 34). Enroll in e-Services for Business and file online. It’s fast, easy, and secure.
Please refer to the Information Sheet: Reporting New Employees and Independent Contractors (DE 231Y) for more information.
- Week of February 24, 2014
State Disability Insurance (SDI) Online Informational Tutorials and Videos
The Employment Development Department (EDD) offers various online tutorials and informational videos to help guide claimants, physicians/practitioners, and employers through the electronic claim filing system, SDI Online. Access them 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at SDI Online Informational Tutorials and Videos.
Online tutorials include Registration, Filing a Disability Insurance or Paid Family Leave claim, Certification, and Form Submission.
- Week of February 17, 2014
Employment Resources Available for Job Seekers
If you’re looking for a job, there are many resources for job seekers available through the EDD. Find training, job fairs or workshops in your area, local America’s Job Center of CaliforniaSM offices, and information on careers including jobs with the State and the EDD, as well as other employment resources by visiting one of these pages:
- Week of February 10, 2014
Am I Required to Register as an Employer for Payroll Tax Purposes?
Generally, a business becomes subject to state payroll taxes if you paid wages over $100 in a calendar quarter to one or more employees. Types of wages are: compensation for services performed, including cash payments, commissions, bonuses, and the reasonable cash value of noncash payments (like meals and lodging) for services.
If you are an Employer, the next step is to register with the EDD within 15 days:
- Register for an Employer Payroll Tax Account Number through e-Services for Business.
- Or you can submit a registration form by mail. For more information, see these Alternate Registration Options.
- Week of February 3, 2014
Receive the Latest State Disability Insurance (SDI) Information and Updates by E-mail
To receive the latest SDI updates and information by e-mail, subscribe to the SDI e-mail list. Updates include new program information, news alerts, system maintenance, and more. To sign up:
- Go to the Get E-mail Notices – Subscribe to a List page.
- Check the “State Disability Insurance Updates and Information” box and select the “Submit” button.
- Check your e-mail for the confirmation e-mail and follow the directions to subscribe to the e-mail list.
You can always unsubscribe from the list on the Get E-mail Notices page by selecting the “I want to unsubscribe” link.
- Week of January 27, 2014
Connect with the EDD
There are several ways to connect with the EDD:
- Contact Us: If you have questions about your specific account, claim, or a question, you can send a message online, call one of our toll-free numbers, or send us mail.
- Locate an EDD Office: Search for Disability Insurance, America’s Job Center of CaliforniaSM locations, Tax, or Veterans Services offices near you.
- Find us on Social Media: We post program information and important updates on our Facebook and Twitter pages. On our YouTube Channel, view informational videos on a variety of the EDD’s programs and services.
- Get E-mail Notices: The EDD’s e-mail subscription service provides our customers with the latest news about EDD programs and services.
For more information, visit our Connect with the EDD page.
- Week of January 20, 2014
Are you looking for an EDD office?
Use the EDD Office Locator to find an office for:
- America’s Job Center of CaliforniaSM (formerly known as One-Stop Career Centers)
- Disability Insurance
- Veterans Services
Start by selecting the type of office you are looking for, and then enter a ZIP Code, city and state, or a full address. The offices closest to that area will display and includes the office contact information and location.
- Week of January 13, 2014
Employer Payroll Tax Deposit Requirements
- Deposit Frequency: The deposit frequency (next-day, semi-weekly, monthly, quarterly or annually) is based on each employer’s federal deposit schedule/requirement and the amount of accumulated California Personal Income Tax (PIT) withheld. Visit the Timely Payroll Tax Deposits page for more information on deposit frequency.
- Deposits: If you’re mailing your deposit, make sure you are including your DE 88. Failure to include a DE 88 may result in penalties and interest or misallocation of your deposit. For more information about deposits, visit the Required Filings and Due Dates page.
- Week of January 6, 2014
Taxes and Collecting Unemployment or State Disability Benefits
If you received Unemployment Insurance or State Disability Insurance benefits from the Employment Development Department (EDD) in 2013, you will receive the Form 1099G. The Form 1099G reports the total taxable unemployment compensation issued to you from the EDD for a calendar year. Total taxable unemployment insurance includes:
- Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits – shown as UI.
- Disability Insurance (DI) benefits received as a substitute for UI benefits – shown as DI.
- Disaster Unemployment Assistance benefits – shown as DUA.
- Paid Family Leave benefits – shown as PFL.
The EDD mails the annual Form 1099G during the last week of January. Claimants should receive their forms no later than January 31.